Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

checkbox keeps getting pre-checked

(closed account) says:
ok, so I hit "t" to type in a new task. I finish typing in a task. I hit "enter". Great. Except that the checkbox next to the task has a checkmark in it now!
No matter what I do, I cant put in a task and finish putting in a task without that checkbox getting pre-filled with a checkmark when i'm done putting in the task.
why is that? I havent done the task yet! It shouldnt be checking them off like that! I have to keep unchecking each task as i enter my task list... help!
Posted at 6:27pm on March 30, 2009
(closed account) says:
Don't have an answer exactly, but until you do, you could press the "n" key when you're finished entering tasks to unselect all of them.

I believe they remain checked because once you enter the title, you can use the shortcut keys to add a due date, notes, etc. Personally, I like the feature...
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
but why would it make sense to mark a task as 'complete' by checkmarking it, just because you havent put in an explicit due date or notes?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I don't believe the checkmark indicates that the task is complete; it just means it's "selected" to be edited further. It is only really "complete" if you click the Complete button at the top, or if you tap "c" on the keyboard, hiding it from view.

I think that much of the allure of RTM is the keyboard shortcuts, which people make use of to speed up the process of editing tasks. That and the ability to create nearly any kind of list via smartlists.

There are some greasemonkey scripts that you can load (in firefox) that will display what the shortcuts are on the screen, if you were inclined to go down that road...
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
well, shortcuts are fine and dandy, but to my knowledge if there is one thing that defines the "tasklist" it is that checkmarks indicate completed tasks! ;)

Dont worry, i'm not expecting you guys to change what you're doing, you've been succesful. I'll just move on to a more traditional style of tasklist (you know, one where a checkmark means the task is done!). Maybe I'm just 'old school' about tasklists in that regard, without realizing it.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
jak, I hear you. The problem is that the view is an HTML list of items, and the typical web UI standard is to provide a way to "select" an item in a list on which an action can be performed. I think you just need to get used to thinking that way. When something is complete, it gets removed from the list.

Toodledo works the way you're thinking, but it makes its interface sort of backward from what web users expect. I had the opposite reaction when I saw Toodledo. I clicked on a bunch of checkboxes and expected to be able to bulk operate on them.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.