Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

FOR EMILY AND ALL!

gui.azurdia says:
Hi everyone,

first of all, sorry if some of you don't like the use of capital letters. I did it to call your attention.

Those of you who have read some of my posts know that I am not the kind of guy who stays put. I complain as much as the next guy/gal.

I have been pondering about the upgrades and further development of this wonderful app.This is what I think:

We are all getting used to things being constantly upgraded or updated. We expect it in every aspect. We want upgrades in flights, we want upgrades at hotels, We want the compact rental to be upgraded to a full size car. We even want upgrades in every pc or mac we purchase. This has led us to expect upgrades all the time.

What if, RTM said "this is what you're receiving. We will never upgrade it and take it or leave it"?

Why should they be forced to upgrade? Just because the competition is doing it in order to compete with RTM?

In demanding, requesting, complaining, bickering, we are neglecting to work on a great app that is free for most people and only $25 if you want to use it in your iPhone. There is no clause anywhere that says RTM must upgrade or implement changes. I f they want to do it, they'll do it. And we will be grateful for that. In the meantime, I call for patience and enjoy your most effective application.

As a matter of fact, I am offering my services to RTM if there is anything I can do to help. If you want me to moderate, answer doubts, help out, I'll be more than glad to contribute a little of my time because I like this project and I want to be able to continue using it for a long time.

PS I have not been paid, bribed, or otherwise motivated to write this. I still use other competitor's apps mainly to see wht they're up to.
Posted at 7:02pm on March 18, 2009
(closed account) says:
I can understand and appreciate where you are coming from but I do think you are off base. I mean no disrespect to you at all, but you speak for yourself with the whole rant about all of us "getting used to things being constantly upgraded or updated. We expect it in every aspect." I think many of us have raised some valid usability concerns.

Example: We can't sort tasks by date added. This represents a real problem for many who use RTM to "get things done." I have never met nor heard of a single person that sorts tasks alphabetically and knocks off "A's" today, "B's" tomorrow and yet we can sort alphabetically. Sorting by date added is a given for almost every other app/system because it's just so basic.

I believe famed UI experts like Joel Spolsky would applaud a number of our requests.

Don't forget that RTM is still BETA and users didn't know what to expect until today when Emily kindly posted a FAQ in each forum.
Posted 15 years ago
gui.azurdia says:
we.kanes
No offense taken. My point is that it is my firm belief that RTM has reached its level of incompetence and I don't mean to insult or offend them. It's a rule of business. No application should be on beta for years. They never expected such a response on the desktop and on the iPhone. They had not even controled the initial RTM and then they launched the iPhone. They are clearly over their heads and, being logical, they will never catch up. We will see a few minor updates but don't expect major upgrades. Expect a lot of promises, explanations. It's a matter of logic. If they could not upgrade when they had less demands from less subscribers, what makes anyone think they will be able to do so with so many more subscribers, iPhone users included?
Let me share an example: a runner who wants to compete in the olympics for the 100 m race and whose best time is 10.5 seconds will never catch up with the other racers. That's RTM. They can't compete with other larger, more organized companies. So, I say, let's take RTM for what it is and be appreciative.
Posted 15 years ago
marlowe says:
I don't want RTM to turn into 37Signals, where they think paying customers should be darned grateful to have the privilege of using their fabulous products, and shouldn't have the audacity to demand a better experience. That attitude is profoundly condescending and arrogant.

I for one appreciate the RTM team's commitment to making RTM the best of its type. They are courteous and seem to strive for excellence, and I appreciate it. At some point, yes, the interface will need to approach a non-beta state, but they should always strive to add features that meet the needs of users' evolving use of technology and tools.

Every business and service must change or die. To suggest otherwise ignores thousands of years of history.

And I suspect the RTM team is looking for a happy, sustainable business that lets them work on things they like to do for a long time--and allows them to provide a service that helps people enormously--rather than looking to flip the business to the highest bidder. If so, good for them!
Posted 15 years ago
marlowe says:
I take it all back. RTM looks like it's evolving into 37Signals. I've taken my business elsewhere.
Posted 15 years ago
You cannot post under this topic as it is locked.