Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

What do you RMilkers think of Gmail Tasks?

jef says:
Hi, folks.
The Gmail team came out with a new labs feature for tasks.
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/OfficialGmailBlog/~3/2XH_XVVMhGI/new-in-labs-tasks.html

What do you all think about it?
Posted at 12:44am on December 9, 2008
russ.goerend says:
does it sync with RTM?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Good start. I see the "killer feature" listed on Lifehacker is that you can turn emails into tasks, which I can already do with RTM. I can't see myself switching over any time soon.
Posted 15 years ago
willw says:
Its too bad Google would release their own, less powerful tasks, rather than partner with RTM and make the RTM integration official.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I hope Google allows us to place *any* gadget (including RTM) inside the "overlay"-style panel that Tasks now occupies.

The added width and persistence would be nice for the RTM gadget.
Posted 15 years ago
snobba says:
Although I feel the RTM sometimes shows in gmail and sometimes not. And then when I have stared a couple of emails I notice that things do not get added..which is a pain..i would trust this integrated feature from gmail more actually..
Posted 15 years ago
heretic says:
Well, I think the "Tab" key function in Gmail Tasks is great! I can create a project list with it.

And the List function is great too. It could also be used to create project like tasks list.

But Gmail Tasks could not used in mobile phone and iPhone now. And It could not sync with mobile phone or any other service.

I think I will use gmail task to mark the email, and use RTM to be my main to-do-list servive.
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
For those not in the rtm ecosystem it's a good starting point. Google should have had this years ago. But I'm glad they didn't! rtm is far better
Posted 15 years ago
brandtkurowski says:
i gave Tasks a try as soon as i saw the announcement and was not impressed: it's actually what convinced me to give RTM another try. i'm glad i did, as i hadn't seen the firefox extension for gmail until today, and now i've got the perfect rtm/gmail setup!

perhaps Tasks will serve a gateway to RTM for others as well...
Posted 15 years ago
rajington says:
gmail is limited but it's more popular and that's the bottom line...

i definitely thought google was going to buy RTM... i just convinced 2 friends to go pro too...

can anyone from RTM comment whether google made offers or anything? i can't find a single thing wrong with RTM and i'm just shocked that google would reinvent such a great wheel.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
i do like how gmail tasks separates the days more clearly.
Posted 15 years ago
klaasdepoel says:
It's really really basic, I don't see myself using it any time soon.
Oh, and what willw said.
Posted 15 years ago
hieronymouse says:
I haven't yet tried Gmail tasks, but I understand that when creating a task from an email, the task maintains a clickable link back to the email. This is a feature I find missing in RTM. I end up copying and pasting the link manually (on the RTM website), which is a chore.
Posted 15 years ago
m.a.harradine says:
I have never had any joy with the RTM plugin for Gmail. I have filed several support tickets with them, but it never gets any better. All other aspects of RTM are great, but the flawed plug-in (at least for me) makes it very tempting to use the Google Tasks option.
To echo a previous posters comments, why on earth don't Google make an approach to RTM??!!
Posted 15 years ago
8inch says:
I'm glad Google doesn't make an approach to RTM. I'd cancel immediately should that happen.
Posted 15 years ago
amjad.z4 says:
I hope gmail and RTM make an official integration. would be really awesome!
Posted 15 years ago
leooon says:
the "sub-tasks" are really great!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
If they create an iPhone app, I would seriously consider leaving RTM. Google tasks has "subtasks" and that is a serious shortcoming of RTM.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
If I get free blackberry sync, I'm sold!
Posted 15 years ago
jef says:
I, too, love the subtasks (Project feature).
Simple to create and helpful.
Posted 15 years ago
vinthomas says:
Subtasks are great! But I need tagging to even consider a switch. I would love to see official RTM and Google Collaboration.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.