Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Last day of the month repeat

ihunter says:
Currently trying out RTM but need to be able to repeat on the last day of the month. Is there any way of doing it yet?

Posted at 4:29pm on September 25, 2008
derek.conjar says:
That's weird. You can repeat every month on the last Sun/Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat, but you can't repeat on the last day.

It looks like you may have to stash it away in your calendar.
Posted 15 years ago
ihunter says:
Without it it's no good for me. What's the point of having a task manager that can't handle ALL your tasks? Am I the only one who needs to repeat on the last day of a month because I thought it would be quite common?
Posted 15 years ago
gert.braspenning says:
try: every month on the 31st
Posted 15 years ago
ihunter says:
Falls at the first hurdle.

Create a task due on 31 January 2008. Set it to repeat 'every month on the 31st'. Mark it completed and it repeats on 2 March!

Posted 15 years ago
ihunter says:
Can someone from Remember The Milk confirm if this is possible or not and if not if it is likely to be in the not too distant future.

Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
ihunter says:
Want to know what 'Ninjas, hamsters & monkeys...' are then fine, you'll get a response from RTM.

In the meantime I'll just assume that RTM is not functional enough for me and give it up as a bad job!

Thanks derek.conjar and gert.braspenning for trying to help.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Here's a simple workaround: create 12 tasks, recurring annually, for the last day of each month. For February, I think you'd need to use the 28th and just deal with the quadrennial leap year.

Now the reminder appears on the correct day of each month, and issue solved. (This does not work for business days, of course.)
Posted 15 years ago
ihunter says:
Creating individual tasks is the way round any repeat that you can't create exactly as you'd like and works in theory but not really in practice from a management point of view. What if I have 10, 20, 30 or more tasks that repeat on the last day of a month? That's 120, 240, 360+ individual tasks. What if I then want to delete or change some? I'd end up spending more time managing my task list than actually managing my tasks.
Posted 15 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I recognize my suggestion is a kludge, and that it doesn't scale, but as I often say here on these boards - we wind up waiting a long time for enhancements to the RTM web site proper. In the meantime, we can either leave the site, use the site as is and complain, or devise methods to accomplish what we seek to accomplish and make our case here on these boards for enhancements that would be useful to a wide portion of the RTM userbase.

Configurable reminders and vastly more customizable sorting are two things I have thought would be useful for years now. While I wait for them, I have hacks that let me do stuff while I wait for the cow and the monkey to stop coding for every gadget under the sun and return to making the mothership even better than it is.
Posted 15 years ago
tracy.norton says:
i'm with you ihunter... this is a repeat function that i desperately need. i have about 20 tasks that repeat on the last day of the month on a monthly basis...the best i can do is set the task originally to the 30th, and repeat monthly for now...
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.