Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Auto-adding recurring tasks

mark.gibaud says:
Hiya,

Just wondering if there is a way to auto-add tasks to a list (recurring ones obviously):

For eg. I have to sweep the floor once a week, can I add it on Saturdays and then if I complete it on Wednesday it doesn't appear on the list until the following Saturday again. I notice recurring tasks do not actually disappear from the list but rather just postpone for a week.

Is there a way to do this?
Posted at 11:39am on September 6, 2008
sosnowsk says:
I have similar tasks. For example, Sweep the floor on Saturdays. Set the due date as every Saturday. Then whenever you complete it (even if not on a Saturday) the task will complete and regenerate a new one due on the next Saturday. Is that what you're looking for?
Posted 15 years ago
mark.gibaud says:
I'm actually looking for it to disappear from my list when I complete it and then have it re-appear (re-added) on the following Saturday.

This is largely because I try and operate a zero-list policy similar to the zero-inbox policy. ie. If there's something on the list there's something that can be done right now.

Am I "doin it rong1"?
Posted 15 years ago
scoz says:
Recurring tasks when completed do actually complete, but the system them right away creates the next task, meaning it shows up on your list right away.

If simply hiding the task until the day it is due is what you want, I would suggest creating a tag "hidetilldue" and then using a smartlist as your main viewing list and using the search terms "(NOT tag:hidetilldue) OR dueBefore:tomorrow"

If you already use a smartlist as your main view, surround your current search terms with () and add " AND ((NOT tag:hidetilldue) OR dueBefore:tomorrow)" to the end. Example:

Original smartlist: "dueBefore:"1 week of today" OR due:never OR (list:Birthday AND dueWithin:"1 month of today")"

Changed smartlist: "(dueWithin:"1 week of today" OR dueBefore:today OR due:never OR (list:Birthday AND dueWithin:"1 month of today")) AND ((NOT tag:hidetilldue) OR dueBefore:tomorrow)"

"dueBefore:tomorrow" will show it starting the day it was due, "dueBefore:1 day of today" starting the day before its due, etc.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.