Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Adding task via email problem

apgordon says:
I'm trying to add a task by forwarding gmail messages to my unique email address. I can get it to land in my inbox with the right task name (which I do by changing the subject), but any other details don't go through. For instance, when I try to specify a due date and tag by adding:
D: Tomorrow
S: @work
in the body of the email, it just inserts that as a note.

D: Tomorrow
---------- Forwarded message -------
30 Jul 2008, 4:41PM | Edit | Delete Note

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong. I've seen the help page (http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/sending/emailinbox.rtm) but can't knock this. Thanks in advance.
Posted at 8:46pm on July 30, 2008
douglaspaulwade says:
I am having a similar problem. I wanted to enter a task, send it by email.

Subject: Work

xxxx
yyyy
zzzz

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/sending/importemail.rtm

It places it in the in-box and not in the Work list. The tasks become notes instead of tasks.

d
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Notes can be included at the bottom of the email, but need to be separated with '---' (three hyphens).

apgordon, you might need the three hyphens before the forwarded message, if you don't already have this (otherwise it may be treating the entire email as a note). If you don't want the forwarded message to be converted to a note, you can include '-end-' on a line by itself before the forwarded message.

douglaspaulwade, would it be possible to double check if you're sending to the import email address (it should contain a +import) in the address?

If you continue to experience problems, please let me know.

Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
apgordon says:
Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reply. So, the three hyphens definitely helped. I can now define details from my email. The -end- thing I'm still having trouble with.

I've tried it like this:

D: today

-end-
---

And like this:

D: today

---
-end-

Both define details successfully, but I'm left with no notes at all, not just no forwarded message converted into a note. Any idea what's up?

Thanks so much! I've recommended RTM to all my friends and coworkers.
Posted 15 years ago
douglaspaulwade says:
I have played with this and this is what I believe, that with email import only one task can be added at a time. I have used -end- and ---, but only the first task is added. Here is what I doing:

Legal to author in SGML EL&T wade
-end-
CALL523269 - PHP Installed Help Desk wade
-end-
IM655716 - PHP Installed Help Desk wade
-end-
Netmeeting Instructions Documentation wade
-end-
Posted 15 years ago
apgordon says:
@douglaspaulwade
The three hyphens are what breaks up text into separate notes. So instead of -end- do --- and you should get notes.

Unfortunately I still can't figure out how to not have the forwarded message converted into a note. If I use -end- at all, I'm unable to get ANY notes. The best option I've found is to define your details, do three hyphens, and then break up the rest of the text with hyphens where you want notes. This inserts a blank note ("Forwarded Message"), but you can define details (due date, tag, etc) and your notes.

Anyone else know how to use this -end- to eliminate the blank forwarded message note?

Posted 15 years ago
arvid says:
Hi apgordon,

When you try to just send a test with the same body instead of FWDing it, does that work?

Arvid
Posted 15 years ago
apgordon says:
Hey arvid.bux

Here's my test message:

D: tomorrow

---

note 1

---

note 2

This worked great. It put in my details just fine and the notes are all there.
Posted 15 years ago
apgordon says:
... so, any idea for how this would work for fwd'd emails? :)
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.