Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM, GTD and Blackberry

cteetoo says:
I'm relatively new to GTD ( In fact, I learned about GTD from reading posts here on the forum! ) and still trying to find the best tools to use with my PC & Blackberry. I've combed the forum & found lots of posts and ideas for GTD, and lots for Blackberry....but none which incorporate the two.

I've been a RTM user for a while, and it seems this solution is so very close to being the perfect solution. I've come across a number of ways that GTD can work in RTM, and begun to implement them....but the lack of SmartList functionality on the Blackberry stops me every time. I need something which works across both PC & BB platforms

Is there anyone out there using GTD and RTM on their Blackberry? Can you provide me some tips on how you manage things?

I appreciate any & all ideas.
Posted at 1:13am on June 20, 2008
(closed account) says:

I'm in the same boat as you. There are a few tools out there that I have found out about:

NextAction so far seems the most promising:

http://www.s4bb.com/software/nextaction/

It uses the default Blackberry database. So you aren't tied into some third party DB. I suggest also signing up to be a Pro member to GTM and they offer a Blackberry Sync Tool.

With those three tools, you can use GTD and GTM effectively.

Next Action to view your tasks on your BB. The Sync Tool to sync with GTM and of course GTM for everything else..

There is also an alpha tool called BBRTM: http://bbrtm.org/ that looks very promising but right now it's read only (you can't complete or update a task) and what worries me most is the author seems to be working on other things and doesn't appear too willing to delegate to other developers.. But that's just my impression.

There is also ToDoMatrix. The BB application looks fantastic but it's based entirely on a 3rd party database and will require a monthly fee to back it all up.

I hope that helps and Good Luck

J
Posted 15 years ago
david.fowler says:
Just set up RTM for GTD and access it the mobile app for RTM through the BB browser. Works great. Smartlists are available.

http://m.remembertheemilk.com

David
Posted 15 years ago
cteetoo says:
Thanks so much for the replies & ideas. I tried out the BB Sync from RTM and it worked OK...had to think very hard about what to sync and not to sync...and then make sure those lists weren't smartlists.

Using the mobile app on the BB is a good alternative, I'll need to test drive it a few weeks & see how it fits in my routine. The NextAction software also looks promising, but I'll have to see how it works with RTM...

Thanks again!!
Posted 15 years ago
abbyladybug says:
OK, so after reading this thread, I have the following things:

* RTM Pro Membership
* Blackberry with the pre-installed Task Manager, as well as Next Action
* Milksync for Blackberry

I really like Next Action a lot. I am able to view by Project or by Context. Essentially, Next Action allows me to pull up tasks on my Blackberry by Context or by Project, which is great. Problem is, the sync-ing is kind of a disaster.

While Next Action is easily able to categorize each task along two parameters - Project and Context - the Blackberry Task Manager software can't do that. It seems like it's putting each task into EITHER a Contextual list OR in a Project-based list.

This is very difficult to describe, but I'm hoping I'm explaining well enough. I need help! All this investment in software, and I definitely want this to work.

The whole reason I got a Blackberry was so I'd have instant access to my GTD system. Having to go into the browser seems awfully annoying when I've gone to so much trouble getting all my tasks into the software and absorbed the expense.

Help! I know this can work. I hope "shampoo" gets back on and says more. I'm determined to get this working!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I just installed milksync on my BB and it seems to work okay with the built in task mgr. You have to filter by category, and then it pulls your task lists like they would be on the site. Mine are in alphabetical order, though, rather than by priority. Maybe there is a feature to change that.

One other strange thing is somehow the BB changed all my tasks' due dates to today. Like all 300 of them. Strange.
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi jonathan.white,

If you haven't done so already, would it be possible to submit a MilkSync for BlackBerry issue report via our support system?

Your report will give us the information that we need to investigate this issue and follow up with you via email (it's difficult for us to diagnose problems with MilkSync via the forums, sorry).

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.