Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Events Calendar in Google Calendar

happyatom says:
Could you help me with adding the "Events" calendar (so I can see tasks listed as events on the appropriate day) into GCAL. I have successfully added the Task list calendar that shows the check mark by clicking on the install button on RTM site.

When I click on the events webcal link in my Settings tab I can successfully import into Outlook (but I don't use Outlook). If I copy this URL and insert into Google Calendar (Add Public Calendar / Add By URL), it seems to work initially but then throws up an error - "Could not fetch the URL".

I have tried removing the webcal:// and replacing with http:// - no luck.

I looked at the URL for the Task list calendar which is:

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googlecalendar/ics.rtm

Quite different to the webcal address. I tried inserting this into the Add by URL field, changing the 'ics.rtm' to 'events.rtm' - but again no luck.

I'm sure I must be missing something really simple as I know lots of you are using this calendar successfully - please put me out of my misery.

Posted at 8:35am on May 28, 2008
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Unfortunately Google Calendar doesn't support authenticated iCalendar feeds (the "All Lists" feed requires authentication).

If you have private addresses turned on, you can subscribe to feeds of individual lists in Google Calendar (without having to make the list public).

Full details on subscribing to lists in Google Calendar are available here.

Hope this helps!
Posted 15 years ago
happyatom says:
Many thanks Emily - works great - thanks
Posted 15 years ago
michael.b.darby says:
I have follow the instructions without luck. (The menu items are a little different: Copy Link Location vs. Copy Shortcut, "Add URL" in Google Calendar, etc.) Google Calendar accepts the addition but nothing is shown.

BTW, should the URL I am pasting from the RTM Events feed have the very, very long appendage after /events/? Or should that be truncated.

I have private addresses turned on.
Posted 15 years ago
michael.b.darby says:
Following up on the last email, apparently Google Calendar is unable to find the URL which I copied form the RTM page. I am using a specific Task list rather than All. I tried replacing "webcal" with "https" because that's what works in my Firefox but that didn't help. THANKS!
Posted 15 years ago
steinmarder says:
I've got the same problem....
Posted 15 years ago
tfx01 says:
Same issue for me. Is something broken in the described process (either at google or at rtm?)
Posted 15 years ago
littlangel says:
Same for me. I have worked on this issue for several hours by now. And I am about to give in.
If I "reset private URL's" in the General/settings tab in RTM, I can create a new private calender, sure, but this is only working one out of one hundred times. In that case when I click on the specific calendar in the Google Manage calendar/calendar tab I get the same name as the RTM List name but the address will be the very long address RTM provides. Every thing works then, but when I then try to create the next calender (next RTM List), I can try one hundred times again. (I might exaggerate a little).
Sometimes Google can't find the adress other times Google won't even hold the adress more than a few seconds then the field blanks out, but mostly I will get at blank calendar with the same name as the fantastic long URL.
Funny thing is, If I in a RTM list click (that is left click) on the iCalendar (events) link and click "ok" to open an application (in my case http//:30boxes.com) this application will only recognize the iCal URL every second or third time.
Something needs a little attention. I certaily do.
Posted 15 years ago
james.benson says:
Same problem here. I either get "could not fetch URL" or "failed to import calendar"

Public Addresses are turned on. I've tried. 'iCalendar Events Service (All Lists)', iCalendar Events Service for specific lists and for Smart Lists.
Posted 15 years ago
pc_uk says:
exactly the same problem for me. i've been trying to resolve this for the best part of today...and it's such a key link in setting things up, that NOT being able to do this is a MAJOR irritation. sorry to kick off my first comment to the forums with a whinge - but i really hope this issue is resolved very soon.
Posted 15 years ago
pc_uk says:
I found the following thread at google groups:
http://groups.google.nr/group/google-calendar-help-publishers/browse_thread/thread/a66b15379d31c14b

This suggests that the issue with 'Could Not Fetch URL' error messages is due to query string parameters.
Specifically, if the URL that we cut and paste from RTM has query string parameters, anything that appears after the ? symbol in the url will not work. So:
In the url http://www.mysite.com?param=1&calendar=1
the query string is ?param=1&calendar=1

So I have tried again, cut & paste from the RTM site, and then deleted the ? symbol and everything that follows.

And the 'could not fetch URL' error has disappeared.

The slight problem now is that, while I don't get the error message, the list that I have imported (my Personal folder) just isn't working / does not appear! Swings. Roundabouts. Emily, please help!!
Posted 15 years ago
pc_uk says:
oh - and to RTM folks - I haven'y posted here under my real ID, because i don't want to put my name up here. if you check on this ID, you won't be able to follow what i have been trying to do. would be happy to send you my details if you prefer. please just let me know.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Also have the same issue here. Just did exactly what was suggested by emily, but without luck.

The first time it worked (I only added one list).

Then I tried the all-lists approach, without luck.

Now I added the one-list again (after I deleted the first one that worked), but now nothing happens.

It looks like it is not synchronizing or so.

Richard
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
I would recommend reporting any iCalendar subscriptions issues to Google Calendar -- we're not aware of any current issues on our end.

Google Calendar does seem to sometimes take a while to add new iCalendar subscriptions (if it gives you an error or doesn't subscribe, it may be worth waiting a little while then trying again -- it seems to be a bit temperamental...).

Google Calendar will periodically refresh the subscription (which should be every few hours or so -- I believe they ask people to contact them if it seems to take an unusually long amount of time).

Hope this helps!
Posted 15 years ago
dgtripat says:
I tried this for hours and finally got it to work so I thought I'd share. I used emily's suggestion in the second post, but I couldn't get it to work. I searched in Google help and found this:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=45697

I'm not sure it applies to this situation but I checked the box: "Allow others to find this public calendar via Google Calendar search?" and that did the trick. My tasks are now appearing.
Posted 15 years ago
dgtripat says:
Correction to my last post - this does not work. Results are inconsistent (updates do not appear). I'm not going to try to make this work - I think Google Calendar is buggy.

I'll be happy with RTM and Gmail until Calendar is more mature.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.