Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Better Gmail 2 Conflicts with RTM FF addon :Compose mailto: links in gmail

nabilalk says:
There seems to be an issue with the Compose mailto option in the Better Gmail 2 Firefox extension.

I have been using this for a while now, with no problems with this option at least (there were some issues with previously mentioned options ie; Hide Invites, Hide Spam count), however, this issue is new.

I disabled the mailto option, and RTM Gmail extension works fine. What is the compatibility issue, and is there a fix?
Posted at 7:29am on May 14, 2008
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
nabilalk, would it be possible to let us know:

1) Which version of Firefox are you using?

2) Which operating system are you using?

3) What kind of conflict is happening? Does RTM for Gmail stop appearing altogether, or is only part of its functionality affected?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
sebastianabate says:
I can confirm the problem: when Better Gmail 2 is enable RTM side panel is missing, no arrow to show it at the right edge, and no task link in Gmail settings. If Better Gmail 2 extension is dissabled RTM works OK.

Tested on FF 2.0.14 and 3.0 Beta5 on Kubuntu 8.04
Posted 15 years ago
drmmrmik says:
I'm using Firefox 3 (latest version) and Better Gmail 2 (version .4)

The RTM sidebar stopped working for me when I turned on the Folders4Gmail option in Better Gmail. If I turn the option off and refresh, the sidebar comes back.

I hope that helps someone.
Posted 15 years ago
ygarcha says:
Confirming the above conflict with FF 3 RC1
Posted 15 years ago
naor says:
I'm not sure it's only the Folder4Gmail script. I found out that it happens randomly with GM scripts. Sometime the side bar appears, some time it doesn't.
Only when i disabled GM completely i go the RTM side bar constantly.
BTW same happned with the Better Gmail extension.. I think there is something between GreaseMonkey, FF3RC1 and mayb Gmail new rolled version - can't tell exactly where.

Versions:
FFRC1, GreaseMonkey 0.8.20080505.0, RTM 1.0.1, Gmail 2
Posted 15 years ago
dancheng says:
I have similar problems -- sounds like certain features in Better Gmail conflict. You should uncheck all of them and slowly check the ones you want and test until you break RTM, then uncheck that feature
Posted 15 years ago
philip.larson says:
Thank-you. This finally fixed it, dancheng.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have the same problem: I have seen the RTM side bar some days ago, in the skinned better gmail 2 version, but now it has dissapeared.

Strange: I couldn't restore the RTM sidebar, althoug I have disabled Better Gmail 2, uninstalled RTM 1.0.1 and reinstalled RTM 1.0.1 again. So I believe, that the error is somewhere else...

Firefox 2.0.0.14, Better Gmail 2 0.4, RTM 1.0.1,
Posted 15 years ago
varrus says:
I just posted this at Lifehacker, but thought it would be helpful here as well:

If I have them both enabled, RTM doesn't show up in my inbox except for very occasionally and randomly when I refresh, and when I disable Better Gmail 2, it does. I'm on a Mac, and I do have other extensions installed, but none that are Gmail-specific.

Personally I've tried shutting off the various scripts in Better Gmail until I was down to none, and the problem persisted. I'm guessing there's something about the order in which various extensions and scripts are processed that is at fault, but I have no idea how to verify that.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I found that "Showing message details" in Better Gmail 2 (on Firefox RC 2 solved the problem. I can leave the following checked:
* first 3 under General
* first 3 under Messages
* hide invites under Sidebar
I have everything else unchecked and RTM 1.0.1 works fine.
Posted 15 years ago
varrus says:
I just tried rolling back to the previous version of Better Gmail 2 (0.4) but there was no improvement. The only pattern I can discern is that when the conflict happens (which is almost all the time now), neither extension appears to work at all.
Posted 15 years ago
varrus says:
Oh, and this is on both Mac and Windows.
Posted 15 years ago
varrus says:
I have noticed that the problem goes away if I turn off the option to use a secure connection (and manually choose http instead of https).
Posted 15 years ago
xanadu1979 says:
Turning off the secure connection seems to fix it for me too.
Posted 15 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We've been checking into this and have fixed some issues.

There may still be an issue with the 'Showing message details' option in Better Gmail turned on, but otherwise we're not aware of any conflicts.

Is anyone still experiencing issues, and if so, does it happen with a particular option in Better Gmail turned on?

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
varrus says:
It's definitely gotten better, but I still often have the RTM sidebar and Better Gmail 2 not load. I'm not using "Show message details" or the "Force secure connection" options either, and I've turned off virtually all of my other Firefox extensions.
Posted 15 years ago
cfhesq says:
I am not able to use RTM at all. The log on box appears, and when I log on to RTM, it switched back to Gmail, but still does not allow me to log on. Using Mac 10.5.3, Firefox 3 Beta 3 (the most recent). Also have Better Gmail2 and GTD Inbox installed.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Clay Hummer
Posted 15 years ago
chuck.higgins says:
I am using the RTM sidebar with Better Gmail 2 under FIrefox V3 for Mac OS X. For me, the conflict between RTM and BG2 clearly has to do with keyboard input: when I turn off macros in BG2, RTM works fine, always appears. With macros on, RTM usually doesn't appear, and when it does, keyboard input sometimes goes to RTM and sometimes to macros. This conflict makes it difficult to use RTM, since I make heavy use of macros.
Posted 15 years ago
jmstandish says:
Using RTM sidebar with Better Gmail 2 under FIrefox V3 on XP -- no sidebar still... tried everything above mentioned. Any ideas?
Posted 15 years ago
andrethehunter says:
I'm using RTM Sidebar 1.0.1 with Better Gmail 2 0.5 with Firefox 3.0 on Windows XP Pro. I noticed the sidebar disappear in FF3 when the HTML Signatures feature is used in BG. This was working fine in FF2 and other features in BG seem to be fine. Even the Greasemonkey version of the HTML sigs script doesn't work. So seems that the problem is with the HTML Signatures script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/20887)
Posted 15 years ago
vanstrapp says:
No RTM sidebar for me either, using Better Gmail 2.0.5.

Not sure which tool I value more, so I can't decide which one I can live without, haha.

For what it's worth, I had Better Gmail 1.1.3 installed before (I think it was that version), and RTM worked fine.
Posted 15 years ago
andrethehunter says:
RTM also didn't appear after I started using Gmail attachment reminder v3.0b (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2419). I turned off Greasemonkey and reloaded Gmail and it worked.

Looks like there's a lot of compatibility issues with other scripts...
Posted 15 years ago
williamtwynn says:
I am also failing to get RTM to appear in Gmail with Better Gmail and with some other greasemonkey scripts.
Posted 15 years ago
andrew.morrison says:
ill vouch for all these issue.
better gmail 2 (0.5.2) with the redesigned skin. Cannot see RTM sidebar - real shame. As @vanstrapp said - cant decide which i can live without.

real killer - love my RTM!
Posted 15 years ago
andrew.morrison says:
its now working.. can my prior comment? (weird)
Posted 15 years ago
shamus says:
RTM sidebar wasn't working for me either.

RTM 1.0.2
FF 3.0
BG2 0.5.2
Greasemonkey 0.6.20080609.0

Tweaking which BG2 options are on. I turned off the macros option, reloaded and RTM sidebar is back.
Posted 15 years ago
clakesnapster says:
RTM sidebar did not show up, neither did that Add as Task action, when using Better Gmail 2..

Had to disable Better Gmail completely for RTM to work.

RTM 1.0.2
Better Gmail 2 0.5.2
Firefox 3.0
Posted 15 years ago
capndesign says:
I'm using BG2 0.5.2 / RTM 1.0.3 / FF3.0 and cannot see my sidebar when either version of macros is enabled in Better Gmail. Disabling those features and reloading Gmail brings back the sidebar.
Posted 15 years ago
hogenesch says:
RTM sidebar will not show up. (Tried uninstalling Better Gmail 2, but still did not work).

RTM 1.0.3
Better Gmail 2 0.5.2
Firefox 3.01
Posted 15 years ago
capndesign says:
Things are working again for me. Not sure if any magic was done on the backend, but all is well again.
Posted 15 years ago
iforwms says:
for all of you still not able to get the sidebar to appear properly, i found for me it was a gmail+greader greasemonkey script which was the problem...
Posted 15 years ago
derek.gurney says:
hogenesch:

Delete RTM cookies and RTM will come back
Posted 15 years ago
jmstandish says:
RTM sidebar will not show up.
(Tried uninstalling Better Gmail 2, but still did not work).

RTM 1.0.3
Better Gmail newest
Firefox 3.01
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Guys.. better idea since Gmail Redesigned is regularly updated.. use the 'Stylish' add-on, with the redesigned style sheet at: http://www.globexdesigns.com/gmail/gmail.css

then just disable skins on Better Gmail.. (I currently have version 0.6 of Better Gmail2 and 2.0.3 Standard of gmail redesigned, and it's perfect)

Without that combo.. things were all screwed up
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.