Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Search in archive is VERY slow (>1min)

alex.vasenin says:
Hi all! Because of having too many tasks in RTM (I have about 9600) I have most of them (~8000) in archived lists. From time to time I need a search through those archived tasks. This kind of search is VERY slow. I've made several experiments with search like 'tag:sometag and status:completed and includeArchived:true', and here is the timeline of what I've found:

0 sec - the search is started
30 sec - "list.load failed" message shows up
55-80 sec - network transfer started
65-90 sec - network transfer ended (network transfer is always lasts for about 10 seconds)
75-110 sec - result showed (that depends on browser: FF2 shows results in 10-20 seconds, FF3 shows result almost immediately)

I think is too bad to wait for search result more than 1 minute. I don't know actual process beneath it, but here is my thoughts how to make it faster:
1. Just grow the horsepower of RTM server (yes, it's obvious)
2. Do not give a client ALL archived information, but give only what it asks. For now, if you asks from RTM server just one archived task, you get as answer ALL archived tasks and your browser makes final filtering (on the other side this makes subsequent searches faster)
3. Database index black magic

So, Emily, what do you think?

P.S. All results are without Google Gears. If I enable Google Gears in FF2 - search in archive hangs forever. There are no Google Gears for FF3 yet.
Posted at 1:24pm on April 28, 2008
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
blacksir, thanks for letting us know -- we're going to investigate this further as we'd like to make sure that searching is as fast as possible (even for many archived tasks).
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.