Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Force Pro Upgrade after 30 Task Adding Days????

aaronhh says:
I think that if anybody actually adds tasks to RTM on 30 separate days, (not necessarily consecutive), that they will either be more than happy to pay for a pro membership, or they will never be satisfied enough with RTM to be happy paying for a Pro Membership.

(Believe it or not, there are actually people who are never satisfied with anything, no matter how good it gets. The glass is always half empty for these people.)

Therefore, I would like to propose that RTM offer the first 30 task adding days for free, and then freeze the ability to add additional tasks. Obviously, if people want to dodge paying, they can keep transferring their data to a new free account, but I think that most people who are more than satisfied, like myself, will be more than happy to pay the very inexpensive cost of becoming a Pro Member, in order to continue adding tasks under that same account.

The best thing about this idea, is that most of the perpetual complainers, will end up paying for a Pro Membership which will give RTM a huge boost in Revenue, which will enable RTM to hire more people, which will enable the perpetual complainers to get more of what they want faster! So it will be a win--win for everybody!

You have got to admit, this is a great idea!

Obviously, current members would get the next 30 task adding days for free, after the policy is implemented. Which would cause some people who were planning to pay sooner to procrastinate for another 30 task adding days, which would possibly lower the average new Pro membership sign up rate for the next two or three months, but then after that, the rate of new Pro-membership sign ups should sky-rocket up, right? And then Christmas Bonuses for everybody!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, including the cow and the monkey.)
Posted at 9:27pm on April 10, 2008
makkenskeyes says:
Have you ever thought that maybe if people are forced to pay some (like me, for example) will run away to another GTD free software? If it's about making a donation, I would do it if I like this web app. But forcing me to pay? No way...
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
I am a pro user but from free choice.

I tried a few 'crippleware' web based to do list but walked away when I realized that I could only have x number projects or y number tasks.

Keep rtm free and those who want to pay will and those who want free are just as welcome ;^)
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
p.s.

this should be in the 'ideas' forum - when I first saw this in 'help' I thought someone had come up against a problem where rtm was trying to force them to pay!

Almost fell out of my hammock!
Posted 16 years ago
beau.raines says:
I chose to be a pro user by choice. RTM is great and I thank them for that.

I think with the number of tools out there, forcing payment will cause people to go elsewhere.

I think that advanced or special features for paying members, as opposed to crippled functionality is a fair way to "induce" people to pay.
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
These are all excellent points. So I have come up with an idea that might be even better. What if RTM implements different contributor levels? The current blue for the current price would remain, but they could add a gold contributor level for maybe 50 dollars, and a platinum level for maybe 75 or 100 dollars? At the platinum level maybe they would offer something like a guaranteed forum response from every question placed by a platinum member? This would encourage many people to go platinum just so that they are guaranteed a response every time they take the time to place a suggestion or question into the forums? Maybe there could be an even higher level which costs 25 dollars per month which would guarantee that suggestions would be placed on a highest priority list above suggestions made by lower members. These highest contributors would feel that they are truly being heard when they place a suggestion on the forums? I don't know, obviously this idea needs a lot of work. What do you guys think?
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
why is this in Help?
Posted 15 years ago
mb01915 says:
Not sure why this is in help but it is interesting to note that the master of the suggestion to make pro mandatory has not paid the fee voluntarily.

Wonder why that is? Could be he can't make a decision on his own?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Choice IS the key of freedom right ? ;)
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
LOL @ johnwin

:)

johnwin is the OCD spokes person

LOL

Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
mb01915 ==>

That is an excellent point. However, I am currently a "poor" college student without access to a credit card. I am currently siphoning money out of my vending machine budget in order to save up to pay for this membership. People like me are happy to pay, but when it is not forced by the "cripple-ware" effect, it is hard for me to make it an extremely large priority when I don't even have my own credit card.

Any more questions? :)
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
This United States of America has nurtured a young generation of spoiled brats who think they are entitled to intellectual property for free, so it is probably better for RTM to remain optional free in order to attract as many of these spoiled brats as possible. :)

(some times the truth hurts.)

Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@aaronhh

. . . a place for everything and everything in it's place :^)

Keep provoking discussion - it's what the net is powered by!
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
. . . but it would be better if you post ideas in the ideas forum not the help one ;^)
Posted 15 years ago
xynetha says:

Sounds like aaronhh's trying to turn RTM corporate! Shareholders before anyone else ;)

I do think that some sort of donation option wouldn't be amiss and color schemes or something in the name to indicate so would be nice. Special treatment besides what they already promise in pro is superfluous though. They'd have to get a customer service team to deal with an increase of requests. I'd rather they increase their development team, myself, if greater manpower is required.
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
I second that motion. ;)

just kidding
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
I just realized after signing up for pro just now, that there is already an option in place for donations. I was given the option to buy a gift in addition to paying for pro. I barely had enough money to pay for pro, so I'll have to do that another day. :)
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
Now that I just signed up for the Pro Membership yesterday, I suddenly don't feel like anybody should be in any hurry to pay for a Pro Membership. How strange is that? I guess the guilt is off of my shoulders so I am no longer projecting my guilt onto other people? Who knows what is going on in my twisted OCD mind. LOL :) Just kidding. my OCD mind is not twisted, just normal OCD like all other overly committed RTM users. :)
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.