Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

changed how recurring tasks work?

(closed account) says:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but "ideas" didn't seem right either.

It seems that if I create a recurring task (say, every day) and if I postpone it to the next day, both tasks show up. One for the previous day, and one for that day.

Previously, what would happen is that you'd only see the one from the previous day, then when you completed that, the one for today would now show up.

I like the old way better. Now my daily tasks get clogged with unnecessary duplicate tasks.

Any insights as to why this change was made and how I can work around/change/accept this?
Posted at 1:39pm on April 3, 2008
johnwin says:
@amalas,

Use the 'repeat after' function in lieu of the 'repeat every' function. As described here:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/basics/repeatformat.rtm

That way you only get a repeat after you complete the preceding one
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Oh neat! I didn't know that "after" was an option. I guess I learn something new every day. Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
I only found out about 3 days ago! I never made the distinction between the 2 until someone here told me :^)
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I tried out the "after 1 day" thing instead of "every 1 day" and the behavior is the same. Both tasks still show up for today.
Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
I think that is because you are postponing the event.

Do postpone it - just let it pass by - check your 'overdue' view from time to time.

when you have competed this daily repaeting task mark it as done in the overdue view and a new iteration will appear in your list for tomorrow.

I think that by postponing the item you are forcing rtm to generate a new item. By letting it fall overdue you avoid this doubling up.

Posted 16 years ago
johnwin says:
Line 2 should read

"Do NOT postpone"

NOT

"Do postpone"

- - -stupid typing fingers!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hmmm.... I think I get it now... No point in postponing an event that I know will show up again the next day...

I guess it's just a procedural thing on my part. Thanks for all your tips, guys!
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.