Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

GTD Help

adamsjw2 says:
Hi all,
Just started GTD/RTM today.

I use the RTM igoogle gadget and the RTM extension for gmail. I use Jott for on-the-road input and google gears to use RTM when offline.

I use the RTM inbox to collect my Jotts and emailed tasks.

I've read the many helpful posts and still need some help. I'm trying to stay as close to the nomenclature of Allen's book. Here's what I've started with RTM:

Contexts:
@home
@work
@computer
@calls
@errands
@on-the-road

I'm not sure as to the best way to set PROJECTS created by using lists. Here's the scenario: I have a number of projects related to a single category.

Category = ENG 600
-Project 1 - Research Project
---Task 1 - Literature Review
---Task 2 - Write Abstract
---Task 3 - Submit Outline
- Project 2 - Grade Student Papers
- Project 3 - PowerPoint on Section 23

Category = Remodeling
-Project 1 - Demo the driveway
--- Task 1 - Rent jackhammer
--- Task 2 - Rent dumpster
-Project 2 - Landscaping
-- Task 1....
-- Task 2..
and so on.......

Q1. Would ENG 600 and REMODELING be better as a "LISTS" or as "TAGS." If I create lists based on the category, then I don't know how to get the 3rd level individual tasks for the projects into RTM. It seems that I'm going to have to classify the individual Projects as lists?

Q2. I'm very familiar with creating queries in Access & MySQL. Is it possible create a smart list that will pull data based on this criteria:

1. Due today
2. Due date <7 days (set by due date)
3. All "Next Actions" which will be tagged with "#nextact"

In the example above, ENG 600, the first task comes before the 2nd task. In the beginning, the first task would have the #nextact tag; after it is completed I would tag the 2nd task #nextact. Or would this be easier to query: Show all "Task 1"

I'm probably complicating this way too much.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Posted at 5:36pm on March 25, 2008
sjferro says:
To you first question. It could be either way depends on personal preference. I use tags for projects ( ie ".project1") then I can click on the tag in the tag cloud and see all the tasks in that project. Since lists also show in the tag cloud you could do the same. My main reason for using tags is that I have many short projects so I would be constantly adding and removing lists. Tags automatically disappear from the tag cloud when there are no tasks containing that tag.

For your second, smart lists are very powerful. There are a number of threads that discuss different search criteria. If I understand what you want to do, it is possible. However, I am not sure what you are attempting to do since to me 1 is a subset of 2.
Posted 16 years ago
sjferro says:
Unfortunately, no way to edit a posted reply...

Meant to add:

Welcome to RTM!
Posted 16 years ago
adamsjw2 says:
Thanks sjferro. I think you've highlighted a strong point of RTM, it is extremely customizable to the way a person works.
Posted 16 years ago
xynetha says:
Hi Adam and welcome to RTM!

I started last week *grin* Already a pro member.

I've thought long and hard, and this is what I've got:

I have context tags much like yours. I have a couple additional tags -

@@soon
@@next
@@wait
@@someday
@@ibnu (Important but not urgent)
@@info
@@idea

For some of my more ambiguous tasks, or tasks that don't really have a set due date.

My lists are "spheres" of my life, I guess. I put a "." in front of the lists that pertain to work, so they're all lined up together. I work at a community college - I write programs and I facilitate workshops. So, two of my work lists:

.Code
.Workshops

For projects, I tag them with a "p-". So, in your system, the tags would be:

Category = ENG 600
-Project 1 - Finish Research Project (p-researchproject)
---Task 1 - Literature Review (p-researchproject)
---Task 2 - Write Abstract (p-researchproject)
---Task 3 - Submit Outline (p-researchproject)
- Project 2 - Grade Student Papers
- Project 3 - PowerPoint on Section 23

I have multi-level projects. I've sketched out the whole timeline, but I want to create smart lists only for the bit I have to do next.

For example:

Remodel house project

Kitchen (p-remodel, @@next)
Task 1 (p-kitchen)
Task 2 (p-kitchen)
Bathroom (p-remodel)
Task 1 (p-bathroom)
Task 2 (p-bathroom)
Living Room (p-remodel)
Task 1 (p-lr)
Task 2 (p-lr)
Task 3 (p-lr)

So, you know you have a ton of steps for your project. You can bring up all the major steps by looking for p-remodel. The item with the @@next tag is the next sub-project to work on. So bring up a smart-list for p-kitchen.

Make sense? It's what I've managed to come up with that works. Looking forward to any more suggestions on possible tweaking.
Posted 16 years ago
adamsjw2 says:
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to determine if Toodledo or RTM is best for me. Back to using RTM for now.
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
I recommend using tags for everything, because you can make a smart list out of any tag or any combination of tags that you want, so any tag really has the potential functionality of a list. The only time I create new lists is when I want to share the items on that list with other users, or if I want all the items on the list to be displayed publically as a published list.. Every single one of my 200 tasks that are intened for my eyes only, are sitting on my "personal" list with all of the appropriate tags which direct those items into all of the appropriate smart lists that I have created. I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need examples of what I'm talking about.
Posted 15 years ago
wernst says:
I'm a relatively new RTM user, fluent in GTD, but also checking out Toodledo too.

Thus far, my experience is that Toodledo is best suited for GTD users who can't get their heads around RTM's smartlists and tag clouds and don't like the free-form-ness of it. If you're head gets around standard lists and subtasks better, than Toodledo is a good choice.

I'm just happy to live in a time where there are so many free/low cost options...
Posted 15 years ago
aaronhh says:
Heck yeah, I am loving this RTM Pro membership for only two dollars a month. You can't beat that! :)
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.