Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

GTD & Smartlists

frankathl says:
My (admittedly sketchy) understanding of GTD is that tasks should be moved from the Inbox as quickly as possible(?)
That being the case, don't Smartlists run counter to this philosophy, since if one relies on them exclusively(or almost exclusively), then all(or the majority) of one's tasks reside in the Inbox until completed(& even then!)? This can make for a very large Inbox indeed!
Posted at 12:23am on March 16, 2008
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Of course you could create a separate list/separate lists to move the tasks to from the Inbox. But basically, in GTD the important thing is not to have tasks in your Inbox you know nothing about. If you think about the task, tag it, add a due date and a time estimate etc, you might as well leave it in the Inbox instead of creating loads of lists.

I have a Check smart list that checks that all tasks have a location (=context) and a time estimate, works well.
Posted 15 years ago
frankathl says:
Yes, I agree with what you say. I guess I assumed that, for GTD, keeping the Inbox empty was analogous to keeping your desk clear of clutter. While I might claim to know where everything is, the psychological effect of all that paper can be disheartening. :-). It is the great flexibility of Smartlists that gives them, for me, a winning advantage.

Re your check Smartlist - what is the syntax for checking that a field is empty?
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
For example:
isLocated:false
due:never
NOT timeEstimate:">0 min"
priority:none
isTagged:false

See more at http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/search/advanced.rtm
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.