Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM for GMail freezing Firefox 3 beta 4

hchorey says:
Hey,

I've definitely traced this back to the RTM Firefox extension - disabling it makes the problem go away. Basically, if RTM is enabled in GMail and i either try to reload the page or close the browser at all, Firefox hangs, saying that "Script: XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp:446 is busy."

Sometimes this crashes Firefox, sometimes not, but I always have to "stop script" to make it go away. I didn't have this problem before installing Firefox 3 beta 4 this morning, but I've been able to replicate it any time I've tried.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Posted at 5:51pm on March 11, 2008
hchorey says:
I just had a friend confirm this, using FF 3 beta 3 and beta 4. I'm guessing it might be a small code change on Google's end? Please confirm if you're having this problem, too. :)
Posted 16 years ago
asolkar says:
Exactly same problem here too.
Posted 16 years ago
eelkje says:
Same problem here with Firefox 3 beta 4 on two different machines.

I Googled Script: XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp:446 but the results are way to difficult to understand:)
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hmm, that's a weird error -- we're checking this out. I'm not sure if this is the result of a Gmail code change, or just something different in Firefox 3 Beta 4, but we'll see what we can find out.
Posted 16 years ago
hchorey says:
Thanks, Emily. The stack trace in this bugzilla entry might be useful:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422373

Posted 16 years ago
salmonmoose says:
It's certainly an issue with Beta 4 specifically.

I'm getting the same thing - but dropping back to Beta 3 stops it.

Script: XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp:446

Glad I'm not slowly going insane ;)
Posted 16 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
I just got this problem a few days ago (maybe over the weekend), but I've been running the same version of 3 Beta 3 since February 25, so I wonder if it might be related to something else.
Posted 16 years ago
corydeppen says:
I see the same problem using 3.0b4, as well as 3.0b5pre (2008031205).
Posted 16 years ago
heimi says:
Same here on beta 4
Posted 16 years ago
salmonmoose says:
If it's any help... this only seems to occur when I shut down my last instance of Gmail.

As I have mutliple gmail accounts (my gmail, plus apps for your domain) I've noticed I only get this lockup when I kill the last instance.
Posted 16 years ago
We've updated our code to work around this issue with the latest Firefox 3 betas.

(You may need to clear your cache and restart your browser if reloading Gmail doesn't fix it.)

Please let us know if you continue to experience problems. Thanks! :)
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thank you! It's *mostly* fixed.

The error is blissfully gone when I'm closing a Gmail page, but sometimes RTM isn't showing when I first load the page (I have 3 gApps accounts and 1 Gmail, so I guess it gets confused sometimes). So when that happens I have to force a reload of the page.

I'm still seeing the script error on reload, but it's not happening when the page closes anymore.
Posted 16 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Emily, thanks for the prompt reply! All better. :)
Posted 16 years ago
ramy.eid says:
I'm also confirming this bug :(
Posted 15 years ago
bittercrash says:
Same problem here.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I take it back that it's mostly fixed. It's still happening. A lot.
Posted 15 years ago
nsahoo says:
happening here. cpu used by ff went to 98% and memory usage just kept on increasing at about 5MB/s. I let it go up to 600MB once before terminating it from task manager.
Posted 15 years ago
We're continuing to investigate issues reported with the Firefox 3 betas.

For anyone experiencing problems with a Firefox 3 beta, please be aware that while we're doing our best to support each beta version, we don't 'officially' support beta browsers (as so much can change between beta versions).

For the best results with the RTM for Gmail extension, I would recommend sticking with Firefox 2 if possible.

For those with continued problems with a Firefox 3 beta, would it also be possible to let us know:

1) Which Firefox 3 beta version you're using?

2) Which operating system you're using?

3) Any other extensions you have installed?

Thanks! :)
Posted 15 years ago
jono.hey says:
Hi Emily,

I get the error with:
1. Firefox version 3.0b4
2. Windows XP SP2
3. I also have PDF download installed (the skype extension and del.ico.us extension are also installed but not compatible with this firefox version)

thanks
+jono
Posted 15 years ago
weedenbc says:
I just moved from FF2 to FF3 beta 5 and RTM seems to not be working at all. The extension is enabled (via nightly tools) and gmail loads fine but no RTM along the side.

XP SP2.
Posted 15 years ago
dimatx says:
same problem as weedenbc. RTM not loading with ff3b5/vista
Posted 15 years ago
pabloaugusto says:
Working at 3b5/XP without problems ...
im translating it to portuguese BR
and adding support to google apps =)
Posted 15 years ago
weedenbc says:
Weird. It just started working today, along with all my other Gmail greasemonkey scripts. I didn't change anything but hey, it's all good.
Posted 15 years ago
josh.camson says:
I get the error with
1. FF3b5
2. Vista
3. Better Gmail 2, but I've uninstalled that and the problem persists.

Look forward to a solution so I can keep using this great extension.
Posted 15 years ago
olivr says:
Same problem on FF3b5.
- Not always loading
- Triggering the error when leaving (if not loaded)
- Seems not related to other plugins

Olivier
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Firefox 3 Beta Build 5

Windows XP Pro SP2

Nightly Tester Tools for compatibility

I don't think it matters, but I'm using Google Apps for Your Domain

Now for my user-experience:

80% of the time the add-on works. It loads right along with my inbox and life is sweet. At random times Gmail will be slow to load, or slow to close out, and then I will get an error about a script being slow to run with the option to ignore the script and move on.

Generally from there the entire instance of Firefox crashes completely and I'm stuck starting over, and starting a new session. I've found that the longer I keep Gmail open, the more problems I get. Eventually the instance of Firefox is hosed and I have to abandon and restart.

If I just do a quick check of my e-mail and move on, I'm fine.
Posted 15 years ago
mrichardsbms says:
I'm having this same issue with FF3 Beta5. Is it just me? The following error hapens pretty much every time i reload gmail or leave it for another page:
"
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: XPCSafeJSObjectWrapper.cpp:445
"
Posted 15 years ago
jwhardcastle says:
I can confirm FF3 Beta 5, OS X Leopard.

It doesn't happen every time, and it took me a while to figure it out and track it down, but it happens about once per day.

Regardless, thanks for the awesome plugin!
Posted 15 years ago
mrichardsbms says:
PS. This seems to happen almost always on my Google Apps For My Domain account and far less frequently on my standard GMail account.

PPS. The same goes for FF3 B5 on Leopard and WinXP as far as I can tell
Posted 15 years ago
nabilalk says:
Similar issue with FF3 Beta 5, OS X Leopard. The RTM login page logs me in, but to a blank page, and refreshing it, presents the same page. Consequently the Gmail addon doesnt recognize that I am logged in, even though the RTM homepage does. The RTM Gmail taskpane will NOT refresh.
Posted 15 years ago
nabilalk says:
@ mrichardsbms: I'm not having the same problem on Win XP SP2, I think its a Mac FF thing.
Posted 15 years ago
philipacamaniac says:
Leopard, FF3 Beta 5 here. The add-on works, but I get this crash and error message all the time.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ubuntu Linux 8.04
Firefox 3 beta 4
Greasemonkey + Adblock plus + Download statusbar

I find this problem to happen at random. The sidebar shows up the first time after install, but after reloading is gone. Reloading again will throw out the 445 error and the sidebar will still be gone, although in rare cases it will show up again. This includes restarting firefox as well.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have the very same problem.

Best,
Jaime
Posted 15 years ago
zulumojo says:
This starting happening to me in gmail apps for your domain only after I published the gtalk service. It did not happen before that. I have the RTM greasemonkey script installed and am using FF 3 Beta 5
Posted 15 years ago
browneyedgirl65 says:
I recently upgraded to firefox 3 beta 5 on ubuntu (hardy heron). What I get is the dialog on the right side saying I need to log into RTM and refresh. But no matter how often I do, or refresh, etc, it never shows my tasks, it always behaves as if I'm not logged in. But clearly I *am* logged into RTM ;-)

No freezes or error messages...just a stubborn refusal to acknowledge my RTM login.

Posted 15 years ago
joshkerr says:
I can confirm the same problem with Firefox 3 RC1 with my google apps account.
Posted 15 years ago
wnknisely says:
For what it's worth, I'm seeing the same thing using RC1
Posted 15 years ago
ebelviranli says:
I am also experiencing the problem with RC1. Only way to recover without closing Firefox is to "Stop script"
Posted 15 years ago
hadinothing says:
I have the same problem
FF3-RC1
Windows XP-sp2
after the update from ff2 to ff3rc1 I could see RTM just once and the script had to be stopped. not working since
Posted 15 years ago
ohasan88 says:
Yeah it practically happens everytime I load up gmail and try to navigate away from it.

I really love this plugin as I find it easy to use. I really dislike visiting the RTM page as entering stuff into it is kind of annoying that way.
Posted 15 years ago
joshkerr says:
Agreed. The RTM web interface is actually pretty bad. Not sure why they haven't figured out a way to simplify it.
Posted 15 years ago
rong625 says:
definitely, same problem in RC1, windows vista

please try to solve this problem ASAP, I'm living with the add-on right now~! I made my everyday work so much easier~!
Posted 15 years ago
mrichardsbms says:
Yeah, I love the extension too. Think I may have to disable it tho, the error seems to be happening constantly now
Posted 15 years ago
nabilalk says:
I'm also having an FF RC1 issue. I also have the latest Better Gmail 2 extension installed, so there might be some compatibility issues there.
Posted 15 years ago
kraftbj says:
Same problem. The only time it happens is when I'm closing the last instance of gmail.

FF 3 RC1
Plugins: ForecastFox, Google Notebook, IE Tab, NoScript, Operator, RTM Gmail, Stylish

Windows XP

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
philip.larson says:
RTM for Gmail doesn't load for me, too--at least most of the time.

I'm in WinXP, Gmail2, Firefox 3 RC1

The only other Gmail extension I'm using is Better Gmail 2.

I really like this extension, much more than the RTM site.
Posted 15 years ago
dwr816 says:
I don't use gmail extension but happened to notice this posting on the tips&tricks forum. Perhaps it will help with problems people are having here?
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/4528/

Gmail Firefox extension - 3rd Party Cookies
brenthaag says:

I just installed Firefox 3 beta 5 and ran into a situation with the RTM extension for Gmail. You have to allow 3rd Party cookies or add "rememberthemilk.com" as an exception.

I was going nuts trying to get it to work...I hope this helps others.
Posted 15 years ago
awmalloy says:
Same problem with Gmail in Firefox 3 RC1 - the solution above r.e 3rd Party Cookies didn't work for me. Firefox still hung/crashed when I tried to navigate away from or shut down a Gmail tab with the RTM plugin running.
Posted 15 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.