Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Tasks disappear when first set

jeremyholton says:
Obviously I am doing something wrong but its very frustrating. If I type in a new task and select it so that I can set a date for it (etc) it disappears and I have to find it again with a search query before I can set the date.

If I hit Enter after typing in the task the same thing happens. This is when I am in a Smart List.

There has to be some simple way of entering a task and then change the settings for it without having to search for it.

Surely the system should automatically allow you to set parameters for a task after typing it in.

I hold little hope of getting any reply to this as the level of support from RTM is pathetic
Posted at 11:49pm on February 8, 2008
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Annoyed me also tremendously but I discover a solution, described here.

In short, allow your smart lists to display incomplete tasks from your "Check task" smart list so you can complete them before they disappear. Works really well for me but you will have to check your "Check task" smart lists for incomplete tasks once in a while.

As for support, my experience is that RTM is really quick at responding to questions, maybe a little slower these last few weeks but they've been travelling abroad from what I understand. As for support, other users are often quick at helping out (as I hope is the case in this case ;-)
Posted 16 years ago
jeremyholton says:
Thanks for the reply rajjan.

This is a very obvious flaw in RTM and it should be fixed rather than users having to go through convoluted machinations to overcome it.

It seems to me that the developers are too busy trying to get the system to do neat flash things when they haven't got the basics working properly yet.

That will be their downfall in my view.

You need to have a solid product before you get distracted into the nice to do things. Otherwise people give up on you after the initial novelty has worn off.

As for support. I haven't seen any sign of it. Same thing get the basics going.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
jeremyholton, this page in the FAQ has full details on how adding tasks to Smart Lists work, including how added tasks can inherit task properties from Smart List criteria, and why a task might disappear if it doesn't meet the Smart List criteria.

As rajjan mentioned, you can alter this behaviour with a clever Smart List query (which is a pretty neat solution). Otherwise, Smart Lists are designed to automatically update as your tasks change, so unless it's inherited task properties from the Smart List criteria, the task will disappear if it doesn't currently meet the Smart List criteria.

Regarding support, we endeavour to answer questions on these forums as quickly as we can. We always appreciate the help of RTM users in answering questions and helping out fellow users, as rajjan has very helpfully done in this topic :)
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.