Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Gmail Plugin Not Working?

lukemccoy says:
I installed an update to RTM yesterday and it seemed to be working again but not this morning. Anyone else having a problem?
Posted at 2:19pm on January 29, 2008
plot180 says:
Mine hasnt been working for days (with the new plugin)
Posted 16 years ago
jerrylu says:
Same with mine.
Posted 16 years ago
tgillin says:
I just installed it (twice). didn't work either time.

not sure if this is a RTM problem or a GMail problem.

i am using the Firefox Extension 'Better GMail 2' as well so maybe there is some kind of interaction problem
Posted 16 years ago
zottel says:
Same for me.

And I'm missing it!
Posted 16 years ago
briggsb says:
I'm experiencing the same problem. It's there, but no tasks are showing. I've disabled the Better Gmail 2 extension, and that didn't fix it. Google probably changed their code again.
Posted 16 years ago
iminort says:
Hopefully we'll have an update soon. I stripped most of my greasemonkey add-ons and that didn't fix the issue. Installing on a machine that never had the add-ons didn't help either. I love these add-ons, but once I became dependent on them it has been an inconvenience not having them. No matter, I'm sure the "PTB" are aware and working on the issue.
Posted 16 years ago
arcanewinter says:
I've been having this problem a lot. I fix it by clearing out my RTM cookies and logging in to RTM again. Then they show up in gmail. But this doesn't last. If I close the gmail window/tab and open it up again, the tasks are again gone from the RTM pane.

Oddly, if I then log out of gmail and log in with another gmail account, the tasks will be there in the second account's inbox. But then logging back into the first account shows no tasks again. So it seems to be a cookie problem.
Posted 16 years ago
briggsb says:
I've verified this also. I removed the RTM cookie and then the tasks showed up again in Gmail. I wonder if it has something to do with me using Google Browser Sync on my laptop and desktop. Probably not, because it sounds like it has the same problem on just one computer.

Oh well, at least there's a temporary fix. RTM staff, is this something that's being worked on?
Posted 16 years ago
briggsb says:
OK, I think I've figured something out. The tasks disappeared because it was showing my "Inbox" tasks of which there are none. If I clicked on the arrow below the task entry box, select "list" then "work" where I put all my tasks they appear.

So this may not be a problem at all. Hope this helps.
Posted 16 years ago
arcanewinter says:
I think your fix of changing the list just prompts RTM to reload all of the tasks. I have some tasks sitting in my inbox RTM list that I hadn't filed away to their appropriate lists yet, and not even those show when the plug-in seems to stop showing tasks.

However, your fix is still easier than clearing the cookies and logging in again.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We did update due to some Gmail code changes a few days back, so I'm not sure if any of these issues are related to that.

In any case, for anyone still experiencing problems with RTM for Gmail, could you please first try clearing your browser's cache, restarting the browser, and logging in to Gmail again?

If the problem continues, if you can answer the following questions, this would help us to investigate the issue:

1) Does the feature display at all? That is, can you see the tasks pane (with no tasks listed), or is the tasks pane not there at all?

2) If the tasks pane displays, do you currently have the feature set to display all your tasks in Gmail, or if you have a filter (e.g. specific list) turned on? (This option is shown directly underneath the "Add task" field at the top of RTM for Gmail -- if you're showing all your tasks, it should say "Set task view here".)

3) Are you using regular Gmail or Gmail with Google Apps?

4) Do you access Gmail via the regular http:// URL or are you using the secure https:// URL?

5) Do you have any other Firefox extensions installed (particularly those that may affect Gmail)?

Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
faraztariq says:
Dear emily,

RTM is playing up again. As an answer to your post:

1) Yes it displays, with the tasks pane only being listed without the actual tasks.
2) Yes, feature is set to all my tasks with no filters on.
3) GMail regular.
4) Access to Gmail is via https://URL
5) no other firefox extensions being used.

Took your advice and no resolution yet. This problem started for me around an hour ago.

Look forward to your feedback on this issue.

Regards,

Faraz
Posted 16 years ago
juliushonnor says:
Hi Emily,

I'm having this problem too: the task pane appears, and I am logged in to it, but it says 'no tasks'. If I set the task view to 'all tasks' they reappear, as they do if I log out and log in again. But neither of these solutions work permanently: after moving around in gmail the problem reoccurs.

My answers to your five questions are as Faraz's above, except 5) I have Gmail manager, Customize Google and Better Gmail 2 installed.

Cheers,

Julius.
Posted 16 years ago
csesget says:
Same problems here.
Posted 16 years ago
fransn says:
I have a different problem. The 'add task' field is not showing up. I can use all the other options, I see all the tasks.... I can set the taskview... I don't know if this problem is known?
Posted 16 years ago
pjkans says:
Hi Emily,
What if there is no task pane at all (step 1), though the plugin is installed (checked that in Firefox/Add ons).
Posted 16 years ago
zottel says:
@Emily

Same problem. Same answer as faraztariq. except 5) customize google

Tested with http insted of https: same problem.
Posted 16 years ago
zottel says:
Even disabling all plugins but rtm-gmail plugin, clearing borwser cache & deleting gmail & rtm cookies leads to the same problem......
Posted 16 years ago
faraztariq says:
Day 2
====

Dear Emily,

New development. The RTM plug-in has now completely disappeared.

Towards the later part of last evening I was able to use Julius's tip to display the RTM tasks by logging out of RTM and then right back in.

Hope this feedback helps.

BW

Faraz
Posted 16 years ago
michael.mclane says:
Dear Emily,

1) Task box displays with no tasks. Refresh button does not
appear to work.
2) Yes, set to ALL tasks with NO filters on.
3) GMail regular, standard view
4) Access to Gmail is https://mail.google.com/mail/etc.
5) Add-ons are disabled, but only RTM enabled.
Gmail Manager .5.4
Better Gmail 2
Google Toolbar
Google Notebook

Thanks for your help in fixing this.
Posted 16 years ago
arcanewinter says:
Hi Emily! The problem I'm having, where the task list is empty, has actually persisted for a few weeks now, so I don't think it's anything you guys did recently.

1) The feature displays, but it's as though I have no tasks in my RTM. It says "No Tasks," even though my default view is All Tasks. More on that next.

2) I usually have it set to show All Tasks. Before tonight, when I started testing things, I had never changed it. (Filtering the list fixes the problem temporarily, but I can duplicate the missing tasks bug by logging into another gmail account.) What's interesting though is that when it's showing the mistaken "No Tasks", it doesn't say "Set view here," next to the drop-down arrow. Instead, it says "(contact: Kelly R. OR" where Kelly R. is a contact in my gmail contacts. Is it somehow getting mixed up with that feature of gmail?

3) I'm using regular gmail.

4) I use non-secure http:// URL

5) I have a lot of extensions, but none that alter gmail, aside from RTM.
Posted 16 years ago
icarus3000 says:
I am having the exact same problem as of the last few days. On two computers. The feature displays, but it says I have no tasks.
Posted 16 years ago
lyndalmc says:
Also not seeing any tasks in the GMail extension the last few days.

1) Task pane is there but says "No Tasks"
2) I'm set to show all tasks - no filters.
3) regular gmail
4) regular http://
5) Google Calendar Notifier installed but disabled (also have del.icio.us, DOM Inspector, FireFTP, IE Tab, Tab Mix Plus).

Thanks, Lyndal.
Posted 16 years ago
lyndalmc says:
Solved for me!

Somehow a filter had been applied. I don't think I had messed with that before, but I clicked the little dropdown arrow on the right side below the Add Task edit box and selected All Tasks and everything is now showing again. I think it was filtering by a contact I had recently emailed or something because I remember seeing some light text there indicating something about one of my recent contacts. I thought it was part of an example task or something.

Sorry for the trouble.
Posted 16 years ago
lyndalmc says:
Here's how I recreated my issue. I'm assuming this is not expected behavior...
1) Go to Contacts in Gmail.
2) click a few check boxes beside names, like I would be adding them to a group or something. When you click contact checkboxes, it filters the tasks real-time.
3) Navigate away without unchecking them and filter remains on the tasks.

Hope that helps. I'm assuming this isn't everyone's problem but everyone reselect "All Tasks" in that filter dropdown to be sure.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm having the same issue described here.

Works OK with regular gmail account, but not with Gmail for my domain with Google Apps.

The feature displays, I can see the task pane, but no tasks are displayed.

Set to display "all tasks".

I'm using the secure https:// URL for both.

Using Better Gmail 2, but the problem persists if I remove/disable this extension.

I look forward to your reply, and a resolution in the near future. Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
arcanewinter says:
@lyndalmc, that's definitely what was happening to me. I agree that it must not be intended behavior! Great to know what seems to be happening, though, so I can avoid making it happen again. Thanks for going that extra step!

For the longest time I thought that contact name where "All Tasks" should be was an example task too.
Posted 16 years ago
icarus3000 says:
Thanks Lyndalmc! That solved my problem too.

RTM should update this though, as it is very unintuitive behaviour and I would never had known how to solve the problem without reading this message board!
Posted 16 years ago
jason.lemieux says:
I had the same trouble as lyndalmc. Fixed!
Posted 16 years ago
We're checking into this one as any contacts filter (i.e. when it shows tasks linked with a particular contact) should not be persisting when switching to a different Gmail view (e.g. Inbox or All Mail). This issue seems to occur with the latest Gmail code.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
My problem is that the entire RTM pane disappears intermittently. I am unable to isolate the problem. I am using FF version 2.0.0.12 and GMail 2 for Apps with an https:// access. I have disabled all extensions except RTM.

When I initially login to GMail, the RTM task login prompt usually appears. Logging in to RTM results in the display of the RTM pane. Thereafter when I leave the GMail tab and return or when I reload the page the RTM pane frequently (but not always) is not visible.

The only fix that works consistently is to close and reopen the browser.

I hope this is helpful to resolving this issue.
Posted 16 years ago
Just wanted to post that we've fixed the above mentioned issue with the contacts filter (i.e. when it shows tasks linked with a particular contact), which was persisting when switching to a different Gmail view (e.g. Inbox or All Mail) when it shouldn't have been.

You may need to clear your browser's cache, restart the browser, and reload Gmail to get the fix.

Hope this helps!
Posted 16 years ago
jdefgts, would it be possible to clear your browser's cache, restart the browser, and login to Gmail again?

We've made some changes today (due to changes in Gmail's code) that may fix the issue you're experiencing -- if it continues to happen, please let us know. Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
I appreciate you working on the problem. This is a very valuable extension and I use it a lot.

It appears that normal use of gmail is not a problem, but whenever I refresh the inbox, the RTM pane disappears. The only way to make it reappear is to close and reopen the browser.

Hope this is helpful.
Posted 16 years ago
jdefgts, thanks for this info. I just wanted to clarify -- when you say that it disappears, does it disappear completely or does the pane collapse (as in, clicking on the small arrow on the right expands it again)? Thanks!
Posted 16 years ago
jeremy.morton says:
I think lyndalmc has nailed this one.
The same problem happened for me when I went into Contacts and displayed and hid the RTM panel. As soon as I did that, once I was back in Gmail's Inbox, the RTM panel showed no tasks. And as lyndalmc says, it is because a filter gets applied. Like lyndalmc, what I did was click the dropdown arrow to the right of "Set task view here" and then click on "All tasks". Voila - all tasks displaying again as expected.

Jeremy
Posted 16 years ago
kshunt says:
I can bring RTM back into my gmail by clearing the cache, cookies and authenticated sessions. I login to Gmail and it prompts me to login to RTM. I log in to RTM and everything loads fine. But if I close the Gmail window and then reopen it (leaving the session authenticated), RTM disappears totally from the right side. 'Tasks' remains an option in settings. Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?
- KH
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
My situation is that refreshing GMail causes the panel ro disappear completely, just as if the RTM extension was not installed.
Posted 16 years ago
justinbyoung says:
I have found that in Firefox 3 Beta 3 at least, the Better GMail 2 plugin would stop RTM from appearing if Macros, One Click Conversations or Show Message Details are enabled.
Posted 16 years ago
csesget says:
I continue to have problems with RTM4Gmail not completing tasks properly. Today a problem I have not experienced before appeared: sending the email response to a starred email/RTM task did not unstar the email or mark the task complete.
Posted 16 years ago
csesget says:
And now, RTM in Gmail won't stay logged in. I've cleared the cache several times, cleared the cookies, reloaded the browser, etc. - nothing makes a difference.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
My GMail extension is partially working. I can add a task and starred email adds a task. However, the task view in Gmail is not showing me all my tasks. It is only showing older ones. I can see older tasks but not newer ones. I have tried resetting my cache.
Posted 16 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.