Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Open URL shortcut (SHIFT+U) opens in new window

dan.gravell says:
In the past couple of weeks the behaviour of SHIFT+U seems to have changed.

Before, it would open the URL for a task in a new tab. Now it opens in a new window, which is far less preferable - I find the additional windows untidy.

Could it be changed back?
Posted at 9:33am on March 7, 2024
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi dan.gravell,
Thanks for getting in touch.

We aren't aware of any changes to this behavior on our end. I'm curious which browser you are using and on which desktop OS? We'd be eager to look into this alongside you to see what we can figure out.

I'd also be curious if clicking on a task's URL behaves any differently and what happens there, just to keep the full scope in mind.

Keep me posted on what you find and we'll see what we can do! 💙
Posted 7 weeks ago
steve23606 says:
For me, SHIFT+U opens the URL in a new tab.
Posted 6 weeks ago
dan.gravell says:
Odd. I've not noticed anything in other web apps.

Application Basics
------------------

Name: Firefox
Version: 123.0
Build ID: 20240214103141
Distribution ID: canonical-002
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0
Posted 6 weeks ago
dan.gravell says:
Clicking on a task's URL with the mouse pointer works ok - opens in a new tab.
Posted 6 weeks ago
Hi dan.gravell,
Thanks for this description. I've added this to our list to investigate. Sorry for the inconvenience there!

Specifically, we're looking at the difference in behavior between just clicking (handled by the browser) and using Shift+U (which issues a JavaScript command, and afterward is handled by the browser) to open a link.

We'll post more here but if you have (or anyone else has) any different behavior to report, we would be interested to know! 💙
Posted 5 weeks ago
dan.gravell says:
Thanks. If it helps, left- and middle-click behave the same way (open in new tab).

Happy to do a bit of debugging if you like, although it's a bit difficult on the production site because it's all minified. I tried quickly and didn't capture any keyup events so not quite sure how it's working...
Posted 4 weeks ago
dan.gravell says:
Also not sure if it helps, but the keyboard shortcut in Google Docs which opens a link (Ctrl+Enter) still works by opening a new tab, as desired.
Posted 4 weeks ago
dan.gravell says:
Update! The behaviour for Shift-U seems to have reverted back to the more desirable open-in-new-tab now. Not sure if you made a change or it's my setup! Thanks!
Posted 4 weeks ago
Hi dan.gravell,
Ah interesting! I'm curious if Firefox made another change or something, because we hadn't changed anything on our end yet.

Please let us know (you or anyone else) if this behaves erratically at any point in the future! 💙
Posted 4 weeks ago
dan.gravell says:
Ok, thanks!
Posted 3 weeks ago