Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

IFTTT does not support symbolic smart add

elydian says:
For example, if I try to add a task like "Do this ~Today ^Today", the symbols for start and due are not recognized, and I end up with a task without a start or due date called, "Do this Today Today".

Please can this be added? I use start dates with all of my tasks due to the way I use smart lists, so I'll have to go back to IFTTT-email integrations for now.

Thanks.
Posted at 6:26pm on October 6, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi elydian,
Thanks for your feedback here. Which services are you connecting with? I will pass this on to our development team for review, so any specifics would be helpful if they are able to take a look at this.

In the meantime, with regard to Smart Lists, it may be something to look at a Smart List that "catches" IFTTT-added tasks that don't have a start date or other properties, just so you can make sure those properties get added later. (Let us know if you want any help there.)

Thanks again!
Posted 6 years ago
elydian says:
Hey.

I'm connecting via Google Assistant, so I have an IFTTT applet that responds to Google assistant commands such as, "OK Google, Remember the Milk " which adds the task with a start of today. I had this working fine by using IFTTT Google Assistant->Email to RTM email task adding, as email task adding has very verbose support for all parameters. I'll switch back to using that for now. Essentially what would be great is support via the native RTM IFTTT service for smart add symbols in the argument string such as ^ for due and ~ for start. Right now there's no way of adding a task natively in IFTTT with a start date specified, or at least, I don't know the smart add natural language syntax for a start date, if there is one.

Thanks a lot.

Tris.
Posted 6 years ago
Thanks for clarifying, Tris! I've passed this along to our development team. We appreciate the feedback!
Posted 6 years ago
rlieving says:
I can't get a date to add at all. If you add ^Today to the string in IFTTT, it just appends the word today onto the last tag and/or the task name. In essence, this makes IFTTT integration with Google completely useless because it adds the tasks without a due date.
Posted 6 years ago
Hi rlieving,
We see your email and will follow up with you to get some details. In the meantime, we're investigating this behavior more specifically to make sure it's working as expected.
Posted 6 years ago
rlieving says:
IFTTT is still not working after 3 weeks. I am receiving IFTTT marketing emails that promote RTM.

I constantly tell people that RTM is the most expensive app on my iPhone. And yet you promote this without testing "Add task for today"?!?!?!?!? It's embarrassing. I work in software, so I just cannot imagine how you would miss IFTTT stripping out characters unless you did zero testing.

WHAT IS THE ETA FOR FIXING THIS ISSUE?
Posted 6 years ago
We had to wait on IFTTT to fix this issue stripping characters that are used for Smart Add, but these have been fixed for 2 weeks.

If you're still seeing any issues, please contact us and we'd be happy to help with any specific applets!
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.