Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Any way to link a task to another task?

ioparaskev says:
First let me explain my flow: I use the lists as "stages" similar to a kanban board or GtD. I have a task that I'm currently working on (so it's in my Active list) and a task that is blocked (Blocked list) until the other task is done. I'm trying to find a way to refer to the Active task in the Blocked task. Only way I've found is adding the description as a Note in the Blocked task. This of course is not really helpful since I have to search for the other task.
Posted at 8:50pm on September 4, 2017
ioparaskev says:
Looking at the API, I can see there's a task_id field someone (who uses the API) can use. So my guess is that this should be easy to implement for same-user task linking. Not sure if this would be easy for shared tasks linking for team workflows
Posted 6 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi ioparaskev,
One way would be to use subtasks, which requires Pro. Another way would be to assign them a common tag (maybe like a project tag) or list so you could view them both at the same time.

Hope this helps a bit!
Posted 6 years ago
ioparaskev says:
Tags wont really help me because I would have to come up with a unique-everytime name to link tasks between them. And after that linking, the tag will be useless to me.

Using them as subtasks is not the same semantically, because I only want referral not hierarchy between tasks. Plus you can't have a subtask in a project other than the project of the parent task.
Posted 6 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for your feedback about those! Sorry those ideas won't help, and we appreciate your thoughts here.

The other thing I forgot to mention but would be possible would be to use the URL field to save a link to another task. This would only be easily possible in the web app: to copy the URL of the selected task, and clicking the URL would open the web app. But that would be another way to connect these two tasks in a specific way.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Posted 6 years ago
ioparaskev says:
Yeah linking that way doesn't really help because
1. You can only add 1 url
2. I would like to be able to understand easily that i'm linking a task

I've added this to the Ideas section under the talk about dependent tasks since from reading the API I see that linking (at least for account-restricted tasks) seems really feasible to implement.

Thanks for the brainstorm though
Posted 6 years ago
robert.ward says:
@ioparaskev what exactly do you mean by linking to the other task?

You want to know the details of the Active task when looking at the Blocked task?

I use the API quite a bit so I might be able to come up with something, but I think I need to know more what specifically you're looking to do.
Posted 6 years ago
ioparaskev says:
What I would want is a way to denote a link between tasks. I don't care to see details in the same view.
If that is through notes or another multi-value field I don't really care (although a field seems most appropriate to me).

Take for example github's linking to pull requests. You can refer to issues by writing #. This will convert to a clickable link that when clicked, will lead you to the issue details.

So a similar behavior (for example %) would be great.
This would assume that there is a way to see each task's number (info button seems ok if you don't want to confuse users with numbers).
Then auto-detection of the char % to show tasks and show them as something clickable, that when clicked will lead to the related task.

Such linking would also provide a possible solution to the "dependent tasks" idea I believe. You can see my comments there as well (it's the latest entry, so no need to search)
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.