Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Subtasks show separately from parent task

chirmer says:
Hello all -

I have a question about subtasks. So, I'm setting up some projects as regular tasks, with individual steps as subtasks. Each subtask has a due date, with the parent task having a due date for when the project must be completed. However, subtasks don't show separately from the parent task when both would be in the same view, and this presents a problem.

Example: I have a project (represented as a task) due Friday. I have a step of the project (represented as a subtask) due Wednesday. In my Week view, I do not see the subtask due Wednesday, only the parent task due Saturday. This is very dangerous, because now I have no way of knowing to check that task juuuuust in case there is a subtask due earlier.

Would it be possible to show subtasks separately from the parent task? I can understand it not showing separately if their due date is the same, but when it's a different day... I'm curious to the logic behind omitting this. This seems harmful and encourages neglecting certain deadlines.

For now I'm getting around this by removing the parent task's due date and adding a last subtask to Complete Project and setting that as its proper due date instead.

Thank you for any help you can give on why this is designed the way it is.
Posted at 3:27pm on May 2, 2017
chirmer says:
EDIT: That should say "In my week view, I do not see the subtask due Wednesday, only the parent task due Friday." in the second paragraph.
Posted 6 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi chirmer,
Thanks for your feedback about how you'd be using the subtasks in your This Week view and how you'd want them to show up. We don't currently have any plans to announce about different display options, but you can vote for this in our Ideas Forum.

In the meantime, that workaround sounds useful for you working with these in your projects.

Let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime!
Posted 6 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi chirmer,
Thanks for your feedback about how you'd be using the subtasks in your This Week view and how you'd want them to show up. We don't currently have any plans to announce about different display options, but you can vote for this in our Ideas Forum.

In the meantime, that workaround sounds useful for you working with these in your projects if you don't like this behavior.

Let me know if I can help with anything else in the meantime!
Posted 6 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.