Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Displaying tasks due today...

(closed account) says:
Good morning all,

I keep projects in RTM as a main task with sub-tasks. While working on a project, I keep the main task due on the current day to keep it visible. This, of course, hides the sub-tasks withing that are due today.

I wold like to see any task due today along with any sub-task due today. I tried the following search:
due:today OR (due:today AND isSubtask:true)
This gives me things due today, but not subtasks that are due today.

Is there any way to search and get what I want?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Hix
Posted at 2:08pm on February 2, 2017
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Rob,
Subtasks would be collected under a main task or parent task if both show in the same view, so this would affect the Smart List as well as the Today view. If only the subtask appears it should show alone.

What might be workable, to take a different approach, is to make sure you have a subtask for every day you want to do this project and then to have the project task due later. For example, you could even just have a subtask repeat daily that is something like "Work on project".

There may be some other setup that could work too, so let us know any other details about how you want the subtasks to work for your projects overall and how you have them organized and we can offer more specifics.
Posted 7 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Maybe you could add AND hasSubtasks:false in order to hide the project, allowing the subtask to be shown?
Posted 7 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Good idea, raymond.bergmark. Keep in mind that it wouldn't show a "first-level" subtask if that also has a subtask, but the sub-subtask would be shown. :) (Hopefully that is far too "in the weeds" for anyone though!)
Posted 7 years ago
(closed account) says:
Raymond idea did not work.

I had never thought to do it the way andrewski pointed out. That will work, just an extra step that I am not used to. Thanks for the workaround.
Posted 7 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Strange, I just tried it out and it worked just liked I hoped it would:
1 Searching for due:today I saw Project with due date today but nothing else.
2 If I changed that to due:today AND hasSubtasks:false I did not see Project but instead the subtask with due date today.

Multi-level subtasks might make it more complicated as Andrewski pointed out, but this simple case worked fine.

As always, exact spelling including uppercase is important in RTM.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.