Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Repeating Start Dates Behaviour

msalam says:
Is it possible to have a repeating task with a start date and not a due date? For example, I have something I need to replenish every 7 days. I set the start date to control visibility. I don't want a due date because I only want it to appear in a specific smart list. I set it to repeat on completion. What I am finding is that upon completion the new task has the same start date and now has a due date 1 week from date of completion. My desired result is upon completion the new task has a start date 1 week in future and no due date. Is this possible?
Posted at 12:27pm on January 10, 2017
tristo (Remember The Milk) says:
Hey msalam, I've juuuust hit you back on a support query you submitted.

Essentially, the gist of the response for anyone playing at home is that repeats are based on due dates with Start Dates following along behind that setting.

To the point here, you might want to consider looking at 'Repeat After' instead of 'Repeat Every', which gives you more flexibility for repetition.

More on that here: What format can I enter repeat intervals in?

Thanks, Tristan.
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
Hey msalam,

I had the same issue as I wanted some tasks to "repeat" but I didn't want them to have due dates. I've found a workaround by using the RTM API.

I'm working on creating a guide to explain how others (even non-programmers) can make use of the API, but it's still a work in progress. See the other thread here:

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/21524
Posted 7 years ago
carol73 says:
@tristo (RTM) unfortunately, repeat after does not resolve the issue of the due date appearing when you only want a start date (I think we're thinking about Things here). So, I've taken to setting the start date 2-3 days before the due date to get around this issue. Will have to use postpone task which is not ideal but workable.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.