Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Using start date for repeating tasks

willyxiao says:
I have a task (Feed pet Monkey) that repeats every Friday.

I have SmartLists (Feed Animals) that show me tasks that matches "startAfter:now."

I want Feed Pet Monkey to show up in Feed Animals starting every Thursday and being due on Friday. Can I set a repeating task that also updates its 'startDate' relative to the 'dueDate'?

Also if I set the start date to be Thursday, December 28, 2016 -- will my repeated task next Friday also have the same start date?

Finally - I'm curious about the mental model I should have for repeated tasks. When it's time to 'repeat' will my old task auto-generate a new task with a different id / notes / list etc.,? What will be copied over from the old task? If I delete the old task will a new task still be generated? Thanks.
Posted at 6:18pm on December 29, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi willyxiao,
The start date for your task will be updated for each instance, so your start date will always be the day before it's due.

Each of the properties will be copied to each task, but the task will have a different ID. Deleting a completed task wouldn't affect future tasks, but deleting an incomplete task could affect future tasks—it wouldn't generate an "after" repeating task, and would prompt you about an "every" repeating task.

Hope this helps!
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.