Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Due dates for new and existing tasks due today are reset for yesterday

cmayes says:
I've noticed a problem for the past few days where new tasks that I add show up as overdue with a due date for yesterday (I'm configured to set new tasks to "today" by default). Existing tasks for today seem to drift to yesterday's date, too. I'll periodically do a mass update for the overdue tasks to set their due date to today, but later notice that they're back to being due yesterday.

One factor here may be that I have my account open on machines set to two different time zones (CST on my work Mac and EST on my home Linux box). I use the packaged app for the Mac and Chromium on Linux.
Posted at 7:03pm on December 21, 2016
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi cmayes,
Yes, the timezones are likely the culprit here. Remember The Milk doesn't currently support shifting timezones. When a due date is set in one timezone, the task will be due at the start of that day (midnight) in that timezone, so viewing or changing it from a different timezone could affect how it's displayed.

The new web/desktop app offers to change your account timezone when it detects that you're in a different timezone, and will update your tasks accordingly, or you can change it manually in the Account Settings, in the Account section.

Let us know if we can help with anything else!
Posted 7 years ago
reidconti says:
Yeah, this is very broken. Looks like the issue is 5+ years old:
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/13689/

Just started using RTM a few days ago.

I flew from California to Virginia this morning. I chose *not* to shift my timezone in RTM because I'll be flying back out soon enough, and the times don't matter to me -- only dates.

When I create items ^Today (at 10:21 eastern / 07:21 pacific, they show up as due *yesterday*. Note that today is Thursday on both coasts.
Posted 7 years ago
reidconti says:
(to clarify, all actions taken on the website, not using a phone app)
Posted 7 years ago
cmayes says:
That'd explain the behavior that I see. It's too bad that the due dates are stored in local time. As a programmer that has needed to deal with dates across time zones for many years, I've learned to always store dates in UTC and to add offsets when necessary for TZ-specific transformations. Given how central time-tracking is to RTM, I'd guess that this would likely be a non-trivial change, and the age of the bug seems to confirm this.
Posted 7 years ago
hmayes says:
Hmm... I've had this problem for a few days, and everything I have is on the same timezone! This is a new problem for me. Has anything changed?
Posted 7 years ago
Hi hmayes,
It sounds like you are seeing something else, so you may want to contact us so we can discuss some specifics and help you out.
Posted 7 years ago
josh.matthews says:
I am seeing the same problem as hmayes - I am setting tasks that are due today, and when I reopen the tab 15 minutes later it says they're due yesterday.
Posted 7 years ago
Hi josh.matthews,
I see you had contacted us, so we'll be in touch by email, thanks!
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.