Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Pausing RTM while on vacation

beverlyjbrown says:
I need to pause RTM for multiple days. There are a lot of daily tasks that repeat automatically and won't be useful when I check in again. How can I do this?
Posted at 12:48pm on November 8, 2016
tristo (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for getting in touch.

There's not quite a way to simply pause Remember The Milk, but what you might consider is changing your repeat style to 'repeat after'.

What that changes is instead of having tasks repeat each day, you have tasks repeat only after you complete them. That way your tasks won't build up while you're away, as such.

I'll explain in full below:

There are two types of repeating tasks.

The first is 'Repeat Every...'. These tasks repeat every time, whether you complete them or not.

For example, Bob wants to be reminded to pay the rent so, he adds a task and sets it to repeat 'Every Week'.

Other examples of ways you can repeat 'Every' are:

Repeat:
Every Tuesday
Every Monday and Wednesday
Every Day

...and so on.

The second type that you might be more interested in is 'Repeat After...'.

These tasks only repeat after you've completed them. For example, you might enter a task to 'Clean the fridge'. After you've completed that task, you might want to be reminded 'After 3 months' that it's time to clean the fridge again.

Examples of ways you can repeat 'After' are:

Repeat
After 1 day
After 2 days

There's more information at our help page on this too :)
Posted 7 years ago
beverlyjbrown says:
Thanks - that is a help!
Posted 7 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
One way to accomplish this is to use smart lists.
Say that you have a Home smart list:

Probably there are lots of tasks in that smart list, some of them are repeating.

Let's assume that you want to hide the repeating tasks when you're on vacation (other criteria could be used too). Make a new smart list called AllExceptRepeatingModifyDate:
isRepeating OR (isRepeating:true AND addedAfter:01/01/00)

That will show all repeating tasks as they all have been added after 1 Jan 2000 and also all non-repeating tasks.

Modify your Home list above to
location:"House" AND dueBefore:"1 week" AND list:AllExceptRepeatingModifyDate

When you're NOT on vacation, nothing changes. However, when you go on vacation, you modidy the date in AllExceptRepeatingModifyDate:
isRepeating OR (isRepeating:true AND addedAfter:01/01/33)

That way your Home smart list will no longer show any repeating tasks at all (no tasks are created after 2033).

This method could be modified, but the idea is to create a boolean variable based on the task created date.
Posted 7 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Found an error in the smart list criteria for AllExceptRepeatingModifyDate, should start with
isrepeating:false OR ...
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.