Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

A Windows App?!

maciek.ziernicki says:
I consider myself a power user of RTM. I've created customized automation with RTM at the core.

I have a small gripe and a serious question.

First, the gripe. Why release a Windows app? Chrome runs fine in Windows, and RTM runs fine in Chrome. I can't remember the last time I opened Windows without immediately opening Chrome. Why is this a gripe? Because a perfectly useful and productivity enhancing tool, RTM for Gmail, has lain bug-ridden and neglected for years. I think far more users would benefit from integration there than from a Windows app.

Second, a serious question... why release a Windows app? What advantage is there, other than for some niche user who hates browsers, to have a standalone app? Why not just a Chrome browser tab? Does the app do anything the web app does not? I would like to know why I would want to install it. Sure, I can try it out, but perhaps I'd be missing something and uninstall too quickly. Any observations or input from the RTM team?
Posted at 9:42pm on September 3, 2016
tyler.szabo says:
I like the desktop notifications (specifically, the Windows-style ones that go to the action center). In addition with a native app gives flexibility to integrate even more desktop features. On top of that by using Electron they don't drop any features (as previous apps have done).

I, for one, welcome my new todo monkey desktop overlords. :)
Posted 7 years ago
martingchapman says:
"First, the gripe. Why release a Windows app? Chrome runs fine in Windows, and RTM runs fine in Chrome. I can't remember the last time I opened Windows without immediately opening Chrome. Why is this a gripe? Because a perfectly useful and productivity enhancing tool, RTM for Gmail, has lain bug-ridden and neglected for years. I think far more users would benefit from integration there than from a Windows app."

Agree 100%
Please fix the GMail integration before doing any more development.
Posted 7 years ago
florinbuda85 says:
ha ha :D after tyler's comment I want the windows app too :D
Posted 7 years ago
devarni says:
The question is: why not?
They using the same web technology (HTML/CSS+Javascript) as in the browser. The app is a chromium browser (the open source part of Chrome) and allows some more control over the integration in the OS and _this_ is the interesting point and here we speak about native menus and notifications.

Afaik this platform allows also access to local data, so theoretically they could implement more features like backup of the database or restoring etc.

The interesting point is: they can easy run RTM on nearly all supported platforms, this includes Linux, MacOS, Windows without changing something on the RTM code.
Posted 7 years ago
bucklittle says:
Hey, I love the desktop app. I can pop it open in an instant without opening browser or another tab. Quick, easy, simple like everything I like about RTM.

One thing: Could we have it start at login? I looked but didn't see that in settings.
Posted 7 years ago
florinbuda85 says:
It can be done in 3 simple steps
1. press Windows-R and type "shell:sendto" an press OK
2. in the folder that opens, make a shortcut to the program you want to open
3. enjoy ;)
Posted 7 years ago
robert.ward says:
#1 reason for a desktop app for me is...

I don't get confused where RTM is in my 4+ Chrome windows that are open at any given time. Along with 5+ tabs in each window.
Posted 7 years ago
maciek.ziernicki says:
Robert Ward:

In Chrome Settings, you can select "More Tools" then "Add to Desktop" to accomplish the same thing. I think it's overkill to use a separate app for that purpose.
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.