Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

How to create smart list that shows "next" actions for all projects?

(closed account) says:
I typically organise my tasks so they're in the order that I'll tackle them within each project/list.

Consequently the next action in a list is usually the first, but looking at the advanced search operators (https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/?ctx=basics.search.advanced) I can't see a way to do this with a query.

Currently I manually make sure there's a "next" tag on one task in each of my projects manually, but it's easy to forget when completing a task.

Anyone got a better way?

(I found a similar question here, but it's closed: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/17234/)

Posted at 4:56pm on May 31, 2016
erica.strand says:
Good question. To make sure I understand, you are having a hard time remembering to go into each of your projects and manually selecting the next action after you have completed one, so you would rather them just show up automatically in order of their appearance on the list?

I really can't think of an automated way to do this. I wish RTM were part of the IFTTT (If This Then That) system, that would be an easyish recipe to make.

I was having a problem clicking each "project" list on RTM to assign next actions, due dates, etc. too. I solved it (my lack of use) with Trello. I have moved all of my projects to Trello for more of a project management approach and let RTM do what RTM does best, be a bad ass task manager. RTM is not really intended to manage large projects. This switch worked really well for me, perhaps it will help you more actively manage your projects as well?

To integrate Trello with RTM I did make a recipe with IFTTT such that when I decide on a next action, I assign myself to the card. This triggers the IFTTT recipe and it then emails that card (the task) to my RTM inbox email complete with the tag to show up automatically in my Next Action list as well as the name of the project it is from in parentheses following the task.

I've been extra vigilant about staying on top of my projects since reading Work Clean, a new book about what we can all learn from the mise en place philosophy of professional chefs.

Hope you find a solution that works for you!
Posted 7 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks,

I'm thinking of maybe new some new smart search operators that takes no arguments:

isFirstInList
isOldestInList
isNewestInList
Posted 7 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.