Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

TickTick beat you to the punch

plainclothes says:
I've vacillated on my commitment to RTM over the last few years. The lack of innovation with the Android app and widgets (mainly that last one) was the real driver. But I also need a good web app when I'm at my desk.

Tried Todoist Premium for a while: it's over-hyped.
Tried to go back to Toodledo: it's just too rough around the edges.
Then I remembered TickTick.

Today, they launched their new web interface. It is surprisingly similar to the beta RTM. So similar, it makes me wonder if one team was watching the other (not sure who had the better spy). It has *almost* everything I loved in the new RTM, plus a better Android widget.

Sorry, Bob, I'll be taking a break again for a while. I hope you manage to gain some momentum while I'm away.
Posted at 9:23pm on November 17, 2015
azclaire says:
I agree on the lack of response, lack of features found on other apps (like adding attachments, retaining text properties from emails and other import sources).

However, I can't find a replacement for custom SmartLists. RTM is the only app that gives us a list of search operators to slice and dice our data as we wish. So far, this has been a deal breaker for me.

Posted 8 years ago
robert.ward says:
For me nothing else comes close to the keyboard shortcuts.

I've tried all the other popular apps over the years, but the keyboard shortcuts are so ingrained in my brain, I could never switch. It threw me for a loop for a while when some of them were changed with the beta web app!
Posted 8 years ago
plainclothes says:
Key sequences and smart search are mostly absent in every other option out there. Quick entry is a differentiator too. At least TickTick has that mostly covered.

RTM owns smart search and saved searches, and that's what kept me around. TickTick definitely falls short there, but with the recent addition of tags, I think they'll catch up.

When a developer friend of mine looked at my RTM environment one day and said, "You need to simplify" I realized I was going way overboard. I've since streamlined how I manage task lists. That freed me up to consider options again.

The Android feature set is what drove me away. I do a lot of entry on desktop, but most of my actual task activity happens on mobile. TickTick has done a great job of raising the bar that RTM set.

One feature of TickTick that's won my heart is nested lists (or list folders) with an "all" view for that set. You can set a general context for a sub-set of projects. Great for segmenting consulting projects.

I've returned before and I may again. But export/import sure makes you think twice! The iCal file RTM spits out is junk. Thank goodness for regex.
Posted 8 years ago
robert.ward says:
You can export everything from the API. Though unfortunately I discovered just today that I can't export any subtasks. Hopefully that will be updated when the Beta web app is officially released.
Posted 8 years ago
ama1eur says:
Friends. you are talking about smart lists and another stuff. Look, they (RTM team) even can't change font size in theyr app! WTF?
Posted 8 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.