Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

No longer receiving iOS push notification

clarence.chiang says:
Hi all,

Recently I just noticed that since I switch to my iPhone 6, I stopped receiving push notification.

I have explicitly turned on notification for RTM app on iOS. I have checked my settings and I noticed there are a lot of "iPhone" profiles in the "I want to be remined by ..." section. Is that normal? (I have used RTM for a long time and might have accumulated generations of phone profiles ...)

Thanks
Posted at 5:32pm on May 27, 2015
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi clarence.chiang,
I've reset your device IDs on your account. Thanks for pointing that out. That can happen when your app is reset or reinstalled.

You can regenerate one by opening the app on your iPhone and syncing it (and on any other devices too.)

After that, if notifications still aren't working, would it be possible to restart your phone? You can do so by holding down the Power button and sliding to power off, then holding down the Power button to power on again.

Also, have you tried any other IM, SMS, or email reminders to confirm whether they're working at all for you?

Let us know what you find!
Posted 8 years ago
klgonier says:
I have restarted my phone and synced my app and still are not getting notifications since I changed to the iPhone 6. I have notifications set correctly in both the notification settings on in the app. Can you reset my ID? I tried to email help but it kept getting bounced back. Thanks, Kris
Posted 8 years ago
dembo says:
Same here - (paying) Pro user. Having troubles with inconsistent notification sounds (for which I do have an open ticket with support) but as of today no push notifications at all.

This is getting a little bit annoying. Inconsistent notifications are worse than no notifications at all. I understand that you are beta testing a new iOS app, but if this doesn't make it to market real soon (my Pro renewal is due in 50 days) I might finally have to jump ship to ToDoist.
Posted 8 years ago
clivey says:
I'm also a Pro user and am getting the same problem. My iPad and iPhone used to notify me when I had tasks due but now I only get that on the desktop, and my Notifications screen on iPhone show they stopped about a week or so ago (since cleared old notifications so can't see). I had't changed any settings in RTM before they stopped.
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have the same problem. I do not get consistent iOS notifications. I had to turn text notifications back on. For the last couple of days, I get no notifications. I've toggled the notification type: it didn't solve my issue.
Posted 8 years ago
dembo says:
I am wondering whether Remember the Milk is on its deathbed. The web app seems to be catching up in features to the competitors but progress is terribly, terribly slow. With the recent acquisition of competitors and the increased manpower that comes with these acquisitions the future sadly doesn't look too bright...
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
I'm also having this problem. I've logged out in and logged back in on the iOS app and still no luck.

I think this started when updating the iOS app recently, but am not too sure...

James
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
Looks like there is a service outage for iOS notifications affecting a subset of users:

http://status.rememberthemilk.com/

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/18795/

Maybe this is the problem?
Posted 8 years ago
dembo says:
That service outage has been around for quite some time. I guess it remains unresolved because the RTM team is busy getting the new version of the iOS app out of the beta stage and resources are stretched thin.

I just wish they would give us an approximate time frame for the new release since I have to renew my Pro subscription in a few weeks and managing a ToDo list without notifications sucks, so I might have to pull the plug.
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
Dembo,

Agreed. It's definitely frustrating.

I've worked around it for now by turning on SMS notifications, but I hope it's fixed soon because it's not as elegant.

James
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
Dembo,

Agreed. It's definitely frustrating.

I've worked around it for now by turning on SMS notifications, but I hope it's fixed soon because it's not as elegant.

James
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
Note to self. Don't refresh right after you submit a comment! :)
Posted 8 years ago
dembo says:
I tried turning on SMS notifications to no avail. Since over here in Europe SMS is still a very profitable business for carriers using any form of SMS usually involves payed services.

I gave notifications via Hangouts a try but couldn't get these to work either *sigh*. Email does work but won't catch my attention since it is a high volume medium.

Checking RTM's Twitter account it appears that the iOS notification bug started appearing at the beginning of May. So we are roughly five weeks in without a solution, which - to reiterate - hints that we reached the end of a business model.

Instead of working on workarounds I am starting to shift my focus on data migration.
Posted 8 years ago
dembo says:
Update: After a quick twitter chat with @rememberthemilk push notification are showing up on all my devices (good) but still without sound (bad). So I guess things are moving in the right direction.

Still unsure whether I'll extend my pro subscription - having a notification tone sure is nice. If we at least could get a time frame for the new iOS app....
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
Same here. Problems with Push notificatons and iPhone 6 since weeks. I have allready switch to the iOS build in App and i will not extend my pro Account.
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
Working for me as well.

Thanks, RTM admins! :)

James
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've also had to turn on SMS notifications. I actually got a iOS sound notification the other day, totally surprised me. And now the iOS notifications are not working again.
Posted 8 years ago
xierox says:
scholnicks,

Odd, they're working fine for me. I've gotten several today.

Couple things to maybe try:
- Reinstall iOS app
- Restart your phone
- Confirm iOS notifications are enabled in Settings in the web app

James
Posted 8 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi scholnicks,
As James mentioned, these should be working currently. Let us know if you've had any more recent problems with them!
Posted 8 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.