Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM Chrome extension vs. Add Gadget by URL

tamar says:
Seems Gmail is deprecating the Add Gadget by URL feature. Really sucks since I thought it was nicely done and beats the Gmail plugin.

That said, if I have to use the Gmail plugin, I'd like to make some suggestions:

1) Can you please allow me to decide which Gmail account it gets displayed on? I run multiple concurrent Gmail sessions (personal + work accounts, two separate windows). I only want RTM displayed on my primary one.

2) Can you allow the plugin to display on the left pane under the email, versus taking up significant real estate on the right pane? It doesn't work with Rapportive, so I lose my task list entirely when I'm loading an email. Very frustrating.

Thanks.
Posted at 5:50pm on August 1, 2014
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Tamar,
Thanks for your feedback!

The add-on appears in each account, but separate accounts maintain their own preferences, so if you don't want to use it for one you can disable its features and hide it on the right and it would not appear. (It'd also be possible to use different browsers or, if you're using Chrome, different profiles but of course that may not be preferred.)

And thanks for your feedback about the add-on's appearance in your list. It doesn't load at all when opening an email message, so that shouldn't be just because of use alongside Rapportive.

Let us know if you have any other feedback or questions about the add-on versus the gadget!
Posted 9 years ago
tamar says:
Hi Andrew - how do you disable it on one account and keep it enabled on another? It tells me to log out of tasks and that's it - once I log out, I'm logged out of RTM period and it doesn't load anywhere. And once I log back in, we're back to the same issue I just described.

Is there anything you can do about displaying a smaller version of the add on on the left sidebar? Per my comments, "I lose my task list entirely when I'm loading an email" and per your reply, "It doesn't load at all when opening an email message" - that's exactly my point (and what you've reiterated). I don't want to lose my tasks. Further, when you hit "C" and compose an email from the inbox, Rapportive shows up next to RTM, and it gets messy. I'd like to avoid that mess if I can. The gadget was a permanent fixture and doesn't go away. I love that about it.
Posted 9 years ago
tamar says:
Ah, figured out #1. Hopefully there's a possibility for #2.
Posted 9 years ago
Hi Tamar,
There aren't any current workarounds for showing on the left side versus the right, but thanks for the report about Rapportive alongside the add-on when composing. I've added that to our list to investigate.

And thanks for the feedback about the add-on overall! I've passed that on to the development team for review.
Posted 9 years ago
tamar says:
Thanks. Bummer that Gmail doesn't let you embed this on the left hand side. That "always on" functionality was awesome.
Posted 9 years ago
tamar says:
Looks like the Add Gadget by URL feature was finally removed :( I'm already running into issues with RTM and Rapportive - when I'm composing an email and need to schedule a meeting, I have to go out of the email, back into RTM (which I've come to rely on) and back into the email. Not ideal at all. Already this has happened twice since the feature was removed.

FYI if you're familiar with Cirrus Insight (a Salesforce integration), it coexists with Rapportive and adds yet another right hand side pane. Please consider the same here for RTM. It's doable.
Posted 9 years ago
Hi Tamar,
Thanks for the continued feedback. We appreciate it!
Posted 9 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.