Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Crapware Pop-ups; Am I the Only One?

dmccall says:
About a month ago I started getting pop-up advertisements whenever I've had an RTM window open. It has happened using both IE and Chrome on Windows 7 and in Chrome and Safari on OSX 10.8.5.

Not only do I not expect to see advertisements like this from a service for which I pay, but I also don't expect to see such sleazy, trick-based ads. One of the ads that pops up invites me to take a survey about Chrome, and it is disguised as an ad from Google. Other ads pop up and run video and audio trying to sell something. I only see these pop-ups when I have an RTM tab open, and they never appear when I don't have an RTM tab open.

Anyone else having this problem?
Posted at 9:35pm on May 27, 2014
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi dmccall,

We definitely don't have any ads on Remember The Milk, so I'm most curious about what's happening here.

Would you mind contacting us so we can follow up via email, and try and figure out what's going on?

Thanks!

Emily
Posted 9 years ago
dmccall says:
Sure thing. Perhaps there is some sort of malware that is either seeing that an RTM tab is open and utilizing some script or something. Weird.
Posted 9 years ago
dmccall says:
Thanks again, Emily, for responding to my note. I just sent support an email about this. Over the past 10 days I have done some research about this bug and concluded that either my Linksys router or my Time Warner Cable DNS service has a redirect bug. I rebooted the router and changed the DNS settings for my browers to Google's and have not had the problem since. Hopefully this helps anyone else with this problem moving forward.
Posted 9 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.