Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Adding task when using the GTD framework?

holroy says:
Hi there, I've been using RTM within the GTD framework some days now, and I'm wondering how do you add tasks to projects? No, I'm not talking about how to add tasks in general. That I do know. I'm wondering if you're using GTD and have projects (or contexts) viewed as a smart list, and then how to add tasks?

I can't add them from a smart list, and wonder if there are some clever way of adding (sub-)tasks of a project somehow... How do you do it?

An example: I decided to clean a rather large drawer of papers, which already are grouped in some boxes. I made a project "Clean paper drawer", and lots of sub-tasks; "Financial", "Letters", "Music", ...

How would you go about adding them, whilst not losing the connection with the main project, in a list already full of other projects and tasks?
Posted at 2:46pm on February 23, 2007
(closed account) says:
I finally gave up trying to get RTM to do all my GTD because of this problem.

If nothing else it makes a kick butt digital tickler file.
Posted 17 years ago
matthieu.baudoux says:
Use tags.

They make great contexts, and you can combine them in Smart Lists with the boolean operators AND, OR, NOT. The Cloud acts as an easy quick links area for all contexts.
Posted 17 years ago
beau.raines says:
Coupled with the ability to add tasks to smart lists now, what holroy was trying to accomplish becomes pretty easy!
Posted 17 years ago
johnfoland says:
Yes. Tags are the ultimate solution. Any interpretation of GTD that you have can be accomplished with RTM.
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.