Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

More detailed GTD help

williambarnes says:
After reading:
http://www.geektronica.com/2007-01-15-gtd-with-rtm-getting-things-done-with-remember-the-milk

I was very excited about using this to help me clear up some of the confusion i have to live with on a daily basis, i am normally considered organized but as things pile up i am finding it more of a problem than it used to be.

I like the example above but i am having problems implementing it on a practical level, especially in regards to splitting up specific milestones within a project.

Am i aiming too high considering i have to manage 3 projects each with two different companies.

If anybody could point me in the direction of a more step by step tutorial i would be very obliged.

Regards,

P.D does anyone use this for meeting notes and task assinging?
Posted at 8:04pm on February 6, 2007
david.kanter says:
I liked this article too, and it got me interested in using RTM. However I tried using tags as explained in the posting, but found it didn't work as well as using Lists. I like being able to have multiple tags per task, and you can only assign a task to 1 list. That's the disadvantage. However, I just like the look of the lists, and it's much easier sending tasks from one list to another versus changing the tag name.
Posted 17 years ago
holroy says:
I'm also quite new to this GTD, but here is my two cents on how you could do this. You say you have 3 projects with 2 companies, that's make a total of 5 projects, with multiple milestones.

I believe I would actually make each milestone a separate project, to ease the complexity of tasks and dependencies. OK, if you agree, then on to the tedious work of tagging everything.

Since I don't know the name of the companies _or_ projects I will use generic names. Then we have tasks named: _A1, _A2, _A3, _B1, _B2, _B3 which are denoting the _main_ projects. Further I would make more textual milestones, but throw in a number for ordering. Like _A1_01_Introduction, _A1_99_Completion. (The reason for adding "_" in front, is to make them pop out on the start of listings, and to denote that these are 'super'-tasks kept for organising measures)

Tag everyone of these as 'project', and build a smart list of projects. Attach a note to each of these milestone-tasks stating what you need in order to call the milestone completed. In addition tag them with a specific tag, like 'p-A1_01'.

And finally we get to the tasks at hand. Say that to finish the A1_01_Introduction, you need to "Call Jim" and "Print introduction". Enter both these, or just the necessary first step to get this milestone running, and tag these tasks with the corresponding specific tag like 'p-A1_01'.

OK, now on the beauty of this scheme. If you in the task cloud hit the tag 'p-A1_01' (or whatever milestone you are working on), you will get a list consisting of the milestone, and any current tasks within this milestone. One of these you should most likely mark "@next" or whatever tag you're using for that. The 'main' milestone will have a note attached describing what you need to fullfill the milestone.

When finishing a milestone, you complete the milestone task as well as the last simple task, and then go to the smart list with the projects to see which milestone is the next to go on to. And then when all milestones are completed, the project is completed as well.

Hope this helps, I've implemented for my projects (although without the 'milestone'-level), and it works for me.

Regards,
Holroy
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.