Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

iPhone Location in ios5

msheaffer says:
Hi. So one of the features I was most excited for in the new ios5 today was location based reminders but I quickly realized that the depth of list management and tagging doesn't even come close to that of RTM.
I always thought RTM's location tag feature was good in theory but because it wouldn't automatically remind me when i was in a specific area, I would never use it. I know there have been several posts before me with similar requests where you point out that apple does not allow GPS tracking in the background for third party apps but today I read something that indicated that foursquare now how this capability.
If RTM could incorporate this, it would catapult the service back into the premiere GTD app in my eyes and have me happily ponying up for my pro account again.

Sincerely,
Dislocated
Posted at 8:24pm on October 12, 2011
soup.matt says:
+1, I'd love to have location triggered reminders in RTM.
Posted 12 years ago
alecbrown says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
alecbrown says:
Since iOS4 the relevant significant change location APIs have been available by providing a delegate to the CLLocationManager class and calling the startMonitoringSignificantLocationChanges() method.

Documentation is here:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/LocationAwarenessPG/CoreLocation/CoreLocation.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009497-CH2-SW1
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi msheaffer,
We don't currently have any announcements about location-based alerts on the iOS apps, but if you haven't already, you may also want to vote for this feature in our Ideas forum here.

Thanks for your feedback on this!
Posted 12 years ago
jingoro says:
Please add it in! Just heard that OmniFocus has added this capability in their newest update....
Posted 12 years ago
action.manager says:
Is it true that this can only be done on iPhone 4/4S?

(thus not on my 3GS or iPad 2 3G?)
Posted 12 years ago
pgrammatas says:
Does the Android RTM already have this? My friend has RTM for Android and when he drives by locations RTM makes a cow bell.
Posted 12 years ago
richtack says:
add me to that list! would make RTM beyond best in class!
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi pgrammatas,
Yes, location-based reminders are currently available in the Android app.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback on this!
Posted 12 years ago
nick.henry says:
Thanks Brendan for providing the link for people to vote for this feature. Hopefully everyone visiting this page will vote for it!

In the meantime, I just wanted to point out the perplexing discrepancy between the two mobile platforms. It's clearly an idea RTM is familiar with if it's already on Android and iOS has roughly the same market share. Why not just make it happen rather than waiting for people to vote?

Thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
nohant says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
jalm1 says:
+1 foursqure did it, RTM should do it!
Posted 12 years ago
rawood says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
roger.walter says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
juntea says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
vkhubani says:
+1 love it on the Android -- now I need it on my iphone
Posted 12 years ago
mww315 says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
losaro says:
+ 1
Posted 12 years ago
gstiebler says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
jhollington says:
A couple of important points that I would add to this discussion:

There would be a limitation in iOS preventing location warnings from working unless you had opened Remember the Milk since adding them so that they could be synced to and set on your device. This could cause some confusion, particularly since it's different from time-based reminders, which are basically push notifications and are therefore sent from the RTM servers at the appropriate time. The built-in Reminders app doesn't have this issue, since of course Apple allows its own apps to sync in the background whether they've been opened or not.

IMHO the current Android implementation of location reminders isn't really as useful as it should be, and I would hope that if this comes to the iPhone it's tweaked. On my Android device, I get location-based notifications regardless of whether there is anything to actually *do* at that location, making the feature virtually useless for me, since I would want it to trigger on locations that i might regularly visit but wouldn't regularly have things to actually do at. False alarms are worse than NO alarms, IMHO, because you basically train yourself to ignore them.

Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi jhollington,
If you haven't done so already, you may want to vote for this suggestion in our Ideas forum, which applies to the Android app's location-based reminders.

Thanks for your feedback!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Its not important to me. Most of my locations task can be done at multiple locations, take groceries, I can buy the same foods at multiple chains in the area, so location wouldn't help. But there are one-offs like getting an item at a specific store. However, usually I'll say "I need to get this item and therefore I must go to this specific store" , so the only time I'll be near the location is when I'm there to complete a task, anyway.
Posted 11 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.