Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM to Google Calendar sync frequency

ricsto says:
Hi,
I've recently set up an icalendar feed from one of my lists into my Google Calendar as per the instructions at https://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/icalendar/googlecalendar.rtm.

The problem I and many others seem to have is the update frequency of new or amended tasks in RTM actually arriving within Google Calendar can be anything up to 24 hours, which is completely unworkable.

After experimentation with a 2nd icalendar client and some "Googling" it's become clear that the problem is wholly at the Google end and this problem has existed for some time. I can find many people who also are having the same problem and I'm just about to dump the integration of RTM with Google Calendar but before I do am I an exception to the norm?

My question is, before I dump this solution is there anybody who integrate this way who gets new and amended RTM tasks appearing in the Google Calendear within a reasonably time frame, i.e. round about an hour or so or less?

Thanks
Rich
Posted at 5:09pm on August 30, 2011
brendan says:
Hi Rich,
Just wanted to let you know, from the reports we've received, the problem appears to be sporadic. Even within a single account, it seems updates are sometimes received in a timely fashion and sometimes delayed.

Hope that helps!
Posted 12 years ago
ricsto says:
Thanks for the feedback Brendan.

Just providing an update to my own post of my experiences of Google RTM-ical sync delay in case anybody was trying a similar configuration to my own.

My setup
RTM icalendar feed added as additional calendar to Google calendar. I wanted to view both appointments and tasks for the day within a single widget on my android phone.

Problem.
Adding, completing or amending any RTM task action takes one helluva long time up to 24 hours being reflected in the google calendar.

Observations:
The ical feed from RTM was not at fault. A test client almost instantly was getting the changes to RTM tasks over the ical feed.
Problem was at Google end and after using this config for a few weeks it seems that the RTM ical feeds were getting updated in the google calendar about every 6-8 hours which did not suit my requirements so I eventually removed my RTM ical feed from Google calendar.

The update frequency problem has existed for some time. The following post on Google Calendar support forum goes back to 9th January 2009 and is still being commented on today.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=7c6b4213a42e6923&hl=en

On Google known issues page they do mention the sync delay problem that its engineers are working to resolve. It suggest to please click the radio button to inform Google if you are experiencing the problem. Apparently that issue report has been there for over two years so I'm guessing the Google are not in a rush to fix it.

Hope that may of help to somebody who has gone through the same frustrations as me. I don't think my configuration was asking too much.
Posted 12 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.