Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

RTM on Firefox 4 causes memory growth, unusably slow performance

mark.watkins1 says:
I just upgraded to Firefox 4 - RTM via gmail causes Firefox to undergo rapid and extreme memory growth, and performance becomes so slow as to render my machine useless - anyone else seeing this?
Posted at 12:42pm on March 28, 2011
brendan says:
I've added this to our list to investigate. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Posted 13 years ago
mark.watkins1 says:
Thanks. Let me know if I can help.
Posted 13 years ago
just_dmitry says:
I have this trouble too (I'm using Google Apps)
I made separate (clean) firefox profile, installed only RTM plugin.
It looks that on first run (just after enabling plugin and restarting FF), after login to RTM, it works OK. But any sequential runs cause fast memory usage growing (by 50-100 megs/sec, by Task Manager) up to 1.6 GB, sometimes followed by FF crash, sometimes - memory usage decrease to 200 megs (usual FF amount) and start growing again.
Posted 13 years ago
gerbert.jansen says:
Same issue for me. I am running Firefox 4.0 under Ubuntu 10.10.

NB: The RTM gadget for GMail Labs runs fine (but I prefer the Add-on)
Posted 13 years ago
ruadog says:
I believe I am seeing the same problem, but it is very hard for me to say for sure because it is intermittent.

It started as soon as I upgraded to FF4. Sometimes everything is fine, but most of the time FF quickly says (Not Responding) and the memory usage climbs to more than 1 Gig. Eventually Windows offers to shut down FF because it is using so much memory. If you just wait, the memory usage drops back to a few hundred megs and then climbs back up again. Once you close the app, you can start it again and sometimes it will be fine, sometimes it will happen again.

It seems to happen more often after the machine has not been used for several hours, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when it happens.

I have disabled the extension but I wouldn't be able to say for sure if that fixes it for another day or so.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, 3 Gigs RAM, FF 4.
Glad to know I'm not the only one (I was just about to go back to FF 3)

Thanks for looking in to this.
Posted 13 years ago
austinaj says:
I think I've seen this as well... Disabled the extension for a couple days and the problem disappeared. Re enabled it today and started seeing the problem again (just as described as above).
Posted 13 years ago
parki says:
I'm seeing it too... glad it's not just me!

Easy to reproduce.
Posted 13 years ago
ruadog says:
After 2 days I can confidently say the RTM extension is the problem. I have had zero issues since disabling it.
Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We've now updated the Firefox extension for Firefox 4 -- it should update automatically, but if it doesn't, please make sure you've updated to version 1.0.6.

If you continue to experience any problems, please let us know.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
just_dmitry says:
Thank you for this update - it seems to work OK now.
Posted 13 years ago
ruadog says:
Yes, this seems to have fixed the problem.
Thank you!
Posted 13 years ago
jlevine82 says:
Ive been having this problem, ff4 and it just disappeared
Posted 13 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.