Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Multiple MilkSync working simultaneously

wesley.wen says:
Hi,

Many of us have more than one working machine, e.g. one desktop and one notebook. Each machine also has Outlook installed.

My question is it a support scenario that MilkSync can be installed on many different machines associated with the same account? And in most case Outlook are executed simultaneously.

Thanks,
Wesley
Posted at 2:03pm on December 15, 2010
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Wesley,

Yes, it's supported to use MilkSync with multiple Outlooks simultaneously, with the same Remember The Milk account. If you do run into any issues, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
sly50 says:
Hello,

Sharing my situation for the forum, hoping you can help me Emily.
- I have personal pc, running Outlook 2007
- I use a profesional pc, running Outlook 2010 on exchange server
- I have on mobile in between.

I cannot manage to have the synchroniation work properly.
*I can add tasks in both outlooks and have them synched ok
*But if I delete a tasks from Outlook Exchange it remains in RTM.

Would you know why ?

is it due to Exchange ? I struggle to understand the exact meaning of your FAQ : ” I'm using Microsoft Outlook with Microsoft Exchange Server. Can I use MilkSync? Yes, MilkSync can be used alongside Microsoft Exchange Server. Please note that MilkSync can only synchronize tasks from a single instance of Microsoft Outlook, and does not sync directly with Microsoft Exchange Server.”

Thanks a lot

Sly
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi sly50,
The FAQ is describing that MilkSync syncs with Outlook itself (and thus wouldn't work when your workstation is off), and that it syncs with a single instance of Outlook (and thus wouldn't work with multiple Outlook profiles or users).

Regarding your sync problem, would it be possible to submit a MilkSync for Microsoft Outlook issue report via our support system, if you haven't done so already?

Just select your issue from the list on the left, and follow the steps shown. If your issue isn't listed, click on "I'd like to report a new issue".

Your report should provide all the info that we need to investigate further, but we'll be in touch via email if we require any more details.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
henrikba says:
@sly50
Think I had the same issue as you - only a bit less complex setup. Only use one Outlook (2010), but with Exchange in the backend.

I experienced a lot of problems with this setup; tasks would for some reason get stuck and not update. My theory is that Outlook "versioned" the tasks after a sync issue with Exchange and MilkSync tries to sync a wrong version.

When this happens to a task, edits in Outlook is not reflected to RTM, and vice-versa.

I ended up with a one-time sync from Outlook -> RTM. To do this, I had to first export all to Excel, then "restore" in MilkSync, then reimport from Excel (losing most of my notes and the completion times of completed tasks).

Now I rely solely on the web GUI of RTM, I input from Outlook with e-mail (read up on Smart-Add, it's really smart!), and use the mobile app and iPad-friendly web gui.

MilkSync + Outlook (w/o Exchange) might be perfect.
However; IMHO, MilkSync + Outlook + Exchange is really not a robust/reliable solution.
Posted 13 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.