Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

MilkSync crashes because of incompatible German translation

thomas.remensperger says:
Hi *,

perhaps you can help - my 3 mails to the RTM team are not answered.

Porblem:
One day after the (automatic) update of MilkSync for Windows, the application crashes when I try to start it. At the first day it worked fine.

Reason (may be):
In the windows application protocol is a string overflow logged (free translation into english):
Exception: Text must be shorter than 64 chars-
Parametername: Text
The actual value was MilkSync 1.0.11
Last synchronization was reported on: 29.11.2010.
Source: System.Windows.Forms
Stack trace:
bei System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon.set_Text(String value)
bei RTM.Outlook.MilkSync.MilkSync.UpdateNotifyIconText()
bei RTM.Outlook.MilkSync.MilkSync.InitializeNotifyIconMenu()
bei RTM.Outlook.MilkSync.MilkSync..ctor(ILogger logger, ISettings

Therefore the reason seems to be the tool-tip-text for the MilkSync tray symbol in the windows taskbar.

On the first day after installing the update the tool tip contains a German status info like "MilkSync 1.0.11\nLetzte Synchonisation fertig gestellt: 17:48". <- 60 Chars!

On the next day, there is a date added to the string and so, I think, it get's longer than 64 Chars:
MilkSync 1.0.11\nLetzte Synchonisation fertig gestellt: 30.11.2010 17:48" <- 71 Chars!

In the English version, that's no problem, because the status text is even shorter.

My current workarround is
1.) Exit MilkSync
2.) Backup the German ressource files of the "de" folder of MilkSync in a separate folder
3.) Copy the English files of the folder "en" to the "de" folder (overwrite)
4.) Start MilkSyn, do a snyc and exit MilkSync
5.) Copy the "de" Backup files back to the "de" folder
6.) Start MilkSync and be happy - it works again.
... One day :(

Has anyone a better solution?!

Thomas
Posted at 5:00pm on December 1, 2010
djoho says:
Hallo

Ich habe ebenfalls genau dieses Problem und keine Antwort vom Support RM bekommen. Habe schon viel versucht, leider alles ergebnislos. Vielen Dank für den Tipp, werde ihn einmal ausprobieren.

Daniel
Posted 13 years ago
djoho says:
Hallo
Ich habe es ausprobiert, die Lösung von Thomas funktioniert tatsächlich. Bin schon froh, dass es nicht an meiner Installtion liegt.
Hoffentlich bietet RTM bald eine Lösung. Habe den Fehler nochmals
per Mail eingereicht. Vielen Dank an Thomas.

Daniel
Posted 13 years ago
fortax says:
Same problem here.

Thanks Thomas for your Workaround!
Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We're currently working on an update to MilkSync to fix this issue -- thanks for your reports! I'll let you know as soon as the update is available.
Posted 13 years ago
Hi Emily,

thanks. Would you please reply to this post, when the update is ready (beta or not - I have a problem to fix)?

Regards, Thomas
Posted 13 years ago
Thomas, yes I'll post here as soon as I have any news -- hopefully it's something that will be ready in the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience!
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'am glad I found this thread, now I can sync again. Cheers to Thomas!
Posted 13 years ago
mras says:
Hi Emily,

same issue here. Hope you can fix it asap. Thanks.
Posted 13 years ago
karsten.reisdorf says:
Why not switch to English files entirely until emily reports a solution? Should fix the "one day" issue until then.
Posted 13 years ago
@Karsten: Till today I assumed there's an incompatbility between German Outlook installations and the English MilkSync wich causes that deletions in OL are not synced to RTM.

But now I noticed, the problem exists with the German ressources, too. So ther's no need, to copy the german ressources back.

Posted 13 years ago
Yeeeeha! MilkSync 1.0.12 is out. Now I'm curious about tomorrow. :)
Posted 13 years ago
It should be fixed in 1.0.12, but please let us know if you experience any problems. :)
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
Sorry, bad news. Updated yesterday and sync worked fine until reboot today. The application crashes with an exception on startup. Here's what the Eventlog says:

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
Faulting application milksync.exe, version 1.0.12.0, stamp 4d088786, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, stamp 49c4f482, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012afb.

Thomas' workaround changing the translations does not work now.

I'm using XP (German) with Office Outlook 2007 (German)

Any suggestions?

Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
tomdwo,
Would it be possible to submit a MilkSync for Microsoft Outlook issue report via our support system, if you haven't done so already?

Just select your issue from the list on the left, and follow the steps shown. If your issue isn't listed, click on "I'd like to report a new issue".

Your report should provide all the info that we need to investigate further, but we'll be in touch via email if we require any more details.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
benjamin.stark says:
Hm das ist ärgerlich, jetzt habe ich so lange darauf gewartet, dass RTM sich mit OL 2010 x64 synct und jetzt les ich das hier. Bei mir stürzt das Programm auch sofort beim Start ab und meint "MilkSnyc funktioniert nicht mehr..."

Ich hoffe die Damen und Herren bekommen das noch in den Griff...

Grüße
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
benjamin.stark,
This issue should be fixed in 1.0.12; if you're seeing something else, would it be possible to submit a MilkSync for Microsoft Outlook issue report via our support system?

Just select your issue from the list on the left, and follow the steps shown. If your issue isn't listed, click on "I'd like to report a new issue".

Your report should provide all the info that we need to investigate further, but we'll be in touch via email if we require any more details.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.