Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

GTD

bl1ndsqrrl says:
Anyone using RTM with David Allen's Getting Things Done paradigm? Interested in how you've arranged your lists by context.
Posted at 8:12pm on April 19, 2006
dodi says:
I dont use Lists for contexts.
I tag my lists with contexts and created SmartLists for the contexts.

@home
@work
@call
@inquire
@aquire
@unattended
Posted 17 years ago
ockham says:
I've been doing the same as you but with Entourage and Outlook, keeping the contexts in a "tag line" at the end of the task field and then setting up different filter views.

I just discovered RTM and the tags are a perfect fit for accomplishing this same thing. My only complaint is that a tag list cant be set for easy pickings when creating new tasks. Otherwise, this is a great product.
Posted 17 years ago
geoffm33 says:
I am just geting into GTD so if anyone else has any suggestions or pointer on how they are using RTM that would be great.
Thanks!
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
I tried a couple different ways and found it easiest to get things into my system by setting up my lists as contexts (I didn't like the idea of having to tag everything I enter into RTM with its context). The quicker I can get stuff in the more likely I'll continue to use it for _everything_ and continue to trust my system.

For large projects I create a list of their own, for smaller 2 or 3 step projects I sometimes use tags to group them as a project.

I use the lists for all data entry and weekly review, but during day-to-day work I have setup Smart Lists called things like "Home Next Actions" and "Work Next Actions". These smart lists pull in multiple contexts depending on where I am.

I filter out recurring tasks until the day they are due, and filter out other tasks with due dates greater than a few days from now. Working from the "filtered" smart lists keeps the current priorities in front of me without me needing to filter through little tasks that will be due soon.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks to derek.spencer and others for examples of their GTD setup.

I would welcome the opportunity to glance into others' GTD workflow, setup, functionality, other tools besides RTM, use of lists vs. contexts vs. tagging, Smart Lists, etc.

I'm in the planning stage of my GTD setup within RTM and would appreciate hearing from others who've been successful with this.

Any other tools besides or in addition to RTM that work well with GTD in a PC/Web environment?

Thanks in advance.
Posted 17 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
The power of RTM, as it relates to GTD, is (in my opinion, of course) smart lists.

To get a sense of not only some specific smart list ideas that might get you thinking, but also to see how different operators can be used as building blocks to create very useful slices of your tasks, the best thread here is this one:

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/help/590/

A google search of the whole RTM site, with links to the various discussions where GTD has come up, is here:

http://tinyurl.com/revre

I hope you find RTM as endlessly useful as it has been for me.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
ranbarton - thanks for the links - I'll check them out

Cheers!
Posted 17 years ago
geoffm33 says:
OK, like I said before, I am new to RTM and GTD. Here is how I have begun using it. Please comment if you wish:

HOW-TO

@home:
Stuff to do while at home

@shopping:
Stuff to do while out shopping

*ProjectName:
Separate Smart List for each project (named as *ProjectName) to be able to group them logically. Project items are tagged with the project name.

+NextActions:
Project items also tagged with 'na' and are the next action on a particular project.

Both @contexts, all *Projects and the +NextActions are all smart lists. All RTM tasks live in InBox.

Any suggestions???? Good/Bad??

Thanks!
Posted 17 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
geoffm33, I think you are off to a great start.

I have two suggestions that might be of some use:

1. Rather than keep all of your tasks in your inbox, you might create another holding list so that new entries to the inbox are easier to see and manipulate. Like you, I live in smart lists, but I also email tasks to myself often, so I created a list named just "." (without the quotes) to keep it narrow. Now my inbox serves as my inbox and the other list doesn't get in my way.

2. Create some 'audit' smart lists. If you live in smart lists, tasks without tags will fall off of your radar, never to be seen again. I have two lists that seek out tasks without time estimates and tasks without tags, and every day or so, I run through them to make sure I haven't lost anything. They are named x and y so they come in at the end of my lists and are narrow.

The criteria for these are easy:

(NOT timeEstimate:"> 0") AND status:incomplete

and

isTagged:false

There are only two drawbacks to living in smart lists: inability to share a smart list (not an issue for me); and inability to create new tasks from within a smart list view (ideally inheriting the view's characteristics).

I hope those are helpful.
Posted 17 years ago
geoffm33 says:
That is very helpful. I will go with the suggestion of the dot list "." and use the inbox for what it was built for.

I do have a list to catch the untagged tasks.

Thanks!

Posted 17 years ago
heathweaver says:
For me it is: Inbox, Action, Someday/Maybe, Waiting For. I email my tasks to the appropriate lists and include tags so the tasks will show up in the separate smart lists (set up as projects and such).

I go through the smart lists daily and when I am feeling brave I tackle action straight on.

I also print out my smart lists and carry them in 5 or 6 clear (manilla-ish) folders.

I am a big fan of mobile rtm, it's a snap because my phone's homepage is set to rtm.

My goal is simplicity; less is more.
Posted 17 years ago
beau.raines says:
I've been working on implementing GTD and have the following lists:

Personal
Work
Projects
Someday/Maybe
Shopping

I also have some specific project lists and other more involved projects that I use Basecamp to manage.

RFID
Soccer Team
Summer Camping Trip

I use tags a lot and have several smart lists (which I use more that the lists themselves).

Calls
Today and Overdue
Tomorrow

I also have a question about how people use RTM and GTD.

I work out of my home office, most of the time, so RTM and my computer is readily available to me. I've started to travel a lot more and had downtime in airports (or while at my kid's swim practice).
What techniques do you use for when you are away from your computer?

Do you print out lists and take them with you (for the things that aren't due today and get reminder)?

Do you write down things to add or do you use the add via email from a phone (SMS to email) functionality? I use both.
Posted 17 years ago
heathweaver says:
I print out my lists and keep them in a binder, also my phone allows me to see Internet sites and the rtm mobile site is great (m.rememberthemilk.com). I have the add task page set as my home page.

Posted 17 years ago
dwayneneckles says:
Does anyone have a screenshot...
Posted 17 years ago
dwayneneckles says:
is it good to have alot of smart lists that represent projects..or should they represent contexts..and what should lists represent?

please help
Posted 17 years ago
szafranek says:
I wrote a tutorial on how GTD could be applied in RTM.
Posted 17 years ago
beau.raines says:
dwayneneckles

I'm new at GTD, but I would say use tags for both!

Posted 17 years ago
beau.raines says:
dwayneneckles
and I completely ignored your other question.

I have lists to segregate tasks/items that are so completely different (shopping v. work tasks).
Posted 17 years ago