Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Use tags to indicate required resources

marjancas says:
I use tags and smart lists to generate task lists that require resources such as my phone and my computer (with or without internet access).

For example, every task that requires me to call someone has a 'phone' tag and appears in a 'Phone' smart list. Then, when I know I am going to be waiting somewhere for an undefined amount of time, such as at the DMV to get my license renewed, I print out the 'Phone' task list and start checking off those tasks as I wait. Tasks that require my computer but not internet access appear in an 'Offline Computer' smart list and can be completed on the airplane. You get the idea!
Posted at 3:43pm on June 5, 2009
spamboy says:
I do the same thing, although I don't bother with the Smart List -- instead, I just do a tag search for "phone" to find these items.

Additional resource tags I use is "computer" and "internet", to keep me from bothering with tasks that cannot possibly be accomplished while I'm driving @ 55mph. :)
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Sounds good! Have you read about GTD? This sounds like one of David Allen's principles, that you organize by resource (he calls them "contexts").

There's a great post on the RTM blog about using GTD in RTM. You might enjoy it.

One of the reasons tags work so well is that you can tag things multiple times (as opposed to trying to do the same with Lists). I <3 tags. :)
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hey marjancas,

Thanks for sharing! :) Just wanted to let you know that your tip is this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 14 years ago
marjancas says:
Thanks! I appreciate your generosity!

Andrew: Thanks for the tip; I did enjoy that post. I've read GTD before, actually! It is one of the better organizational books I've seen. Yes, tags are my favorite part of RTM so far!
Posted 14 years ago