Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Borrowed / Lent list

ahojohnebrause says:
Sorry if this should turn out to be a duplicate post, but since I didn't find any similar forum entry using the search function, I figured I might as well give you a little tip to create a list which proved tremendously useful to me.

Recently, I remembered that a buddy of mine is in debt to me for a crate of beer, so I made a task in RTM to remind myself to remind him next time we met.

After that, I got thinking, and created a list called "Borrowed / Lent" where this task found its home. I then took a stroll through my appartment and recorded all things that were a) missing or b) in my appartment, yet not legally in my posession. I created a task for every one of them and either tagged them with "borrowed" or "lent", as well as with a tag of the corresponding buddy's name.

This way, I can easily find out which things to throw in my backpack's general direction the next time I visit my mom, for example.

I also tend to give these tasks a due date, so that I can nudge people to give me my stuff back.

You'll be amazed how fast this list actually grows...

Hope it was helpful to you!

Regards,

Jörn
Posted at 12:55pm on May 13, 2009
(closed account) says:
Interesting tip. I also sometimes lend stuff out. And by the time I forget to whom I have lent it out.
I'm gonna create one now.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Jörn,
I took your tip to heart and created a list of the same. I am moving soon so this will be very useful to me to make sure I get all these particular tasks completed by the time I move! :)
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Jörn,

Thanks for sharing! :) Just wanted to let you know that your tip is a Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 14 years ago
ahojohnebrause says:
\o/ Yay!
Thank you, emily, this really made my day awesome :D
Posted 14 years ago
b2m says:
Last week I was searching for a new Android App to manage my borrowed and lend items... but I soon discovered that I already had a perfect App for this: RTM.

I soon learned, that I am not the first one to use RTM this way, but nonetheless I documented my setup in german and english on my Blog.

The basic difference: instead of tags for the names I am using the name as prefix and an alphabetical order for the list. Therefore I avoid having a lot of (maybe) later unused tags.
Posted 11 years ago