Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

How to add an email 'template' in Outlook (or other clients)

johnwin says:
I thought of a good way to set-up a 'template' for rtm in outlook.

I use the signature function instead of a proper outlook template as I find them too fussy to use.

First off I set up my rtm email address in contacts under the name 'rtm' - this way it auto completes after a max of 3 key strokes.

Then I set up a new signature as follows:

"Priority:

Due:

Repeat:

Estimate:

Tags:

URL:

List:

---
[Notes go here]

---

-end-"

Now I just start a new email, type rtm in the 'to' box, put the task in the 'subject' line, go to the tool bar, hit 'insert > signature > rtm' then fill in the blanks and send.

Job done.
Posted at 9:48am on March 20, 2008
nepttako says:
thanks for this tip. It helps a lot.
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@nepttako

Glad you like it :^) Though I'm now using Texter from Lifehacker.com - it's a text autocomplete that my locked down work pc will allow me to install

http://lifehacker.com/software//lifehacker-code-texter-windows-238306.php

I type 'rtm' and it fills in the template for me
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi johnwin,
Please check this post as well:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/4142/

Koenie
Posted 15 years ago
johnwin says:
@koenie
Yes I saw that one - thanks for the how-too and the heads up
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Funny that I stumbled across this today... I just set up the very same thing this week. We're using Outlook where I work, and I get notification emails for specific types of work that would all fall into the same categories/contexts no matter what the request. So I just created a signature to switch to for handling those requests and forward it to the RTM contact I created. I also created a generic task signature with some core fields populated, and changed the fields that I would most likely want to be altered most often to bold red as a "reminder".

*ALSO*
I've learned that you don't need to use the tool bar to change the signature in Outlook 2003; just right click on your signature and your list of created signatures pops up to choose from. Works really nice.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
markarness: THANK YOU, I have had a strange behaviour in Outlook for months, not being able to correct mis-spelled words, all because I included "Hi!" in the signature. Basically my whole e-mail was written inside the signature, works much better now with a normal signature.
Posted 15 years ago
raimiz says:
@nepttako

I use PhraseExpress for generating RTM-Mails:

http://www.phraseexpress.com/
Posted 15 years ago
matt.tobiassen says:
I did the Outlook Template thing and then pinned a shortcut to the .oft file in my start menu. Since it is the only shortcut that starts with Q (I named it Quick RTM Task), I just press WINDOWS+Q and it opens up.
Posted 15 years ago
samirkshah says:
matt.tobiassen,
Can you please provide more details on how did you create outlook template?

Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
sailesh says:
I found the 'outlook template thing' for Office 2007 -

Open a new blank message.
In the message body, enter the content you want.
In the message window, click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
In the Save As dialog box, in the Save as type list, click Outlook Template.
In the File name box, type a name for your template, and then click Save.

To go and use a template where do you go? That's right, Forms. Of course. I am silly to think it would be > New > Email template.

Go to New > Choose Form > Look in > User Templates in File System > Select template.

I'm lost as to how matt.tobiassen adds the 'Q' shortcut to the document in the start menu?

Posted 15 years ago
sailesh says:
OK got it: Windows button (either one), then 'Q'
Posted 15 years ago
kasmic says:
I use Eudora on one of my computers...love this tip!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Great idea. I actually hate the RTM Gmail gadget (UI Fail) and the FF add-on doesn't work properly since some of the re-coding of Gmail, so I set this up as a canned response in Gmail. Basically works the same way. Thanks for the tip!
Posted 14 years ago