Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

You can search for tasks with symbols in the title

(closed account) says:
you can search for a task with symbols in the title. For example , if you title a task "- conquer the world", you can run a search for : has the words " -" and it will return that example. As bazilman and others have shown, symbols can be useful inserted in tags for organizing tasks.
It can surely be useful in task titles.
You can of course save such searches as Smart Lists.
Its yet another way to differentiate various types of RTM items-projects, sub projects, goals, and tasks
Posted at 11:44pm on October 12, 2007
bzpilman says:
I've tried that, though I figured that my most used symbols (- and .) are very often written in the task/entry body. So the system gets messed up.

In my experience, the best option is to hard code different kinds of entries (actions, projects, goals, waiting for's). Wich means having them in separate lists.

It can be used much more effectively for +, @ and many others, I guess. A no-brainer here would be having wildcard search queries, naturally :)
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
@bzpilman Pro

yes, I should have given you credit for sparking my interest in this approach ( although your slightly different approach seems to have been to use it in tags, rather than in the task title).
I'm now a convert to your request for a wild cards search feature, btw. The good thing about it the idea is that its boosts core functionality WITHOUT changing the interface ( Are you listening, Emily?)

n my experience, the best option is to hard code different kinds of entries (actions, projects, goals, waiting for's). Wich means having them in separate lists.

i would agree with that- are you talking real lists or smart lists, though? I thought you were a one real list /many smart lists type:-)

Note that desktop computers have had wild card searches since WIN 95, so we aren't talking about cutting edge tech here.
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
I'm talking real lists.

They compose the structure for me, meaning there's one for projects, actions, waiting fors, and for every kind of entry. I don't use them as contexts as most people seem to do.

Having only one real list is doable, but I'd rather not fiddle with it untill we have wildcards. As it is, there's just too much maintenance involved to be worth the effort.

For the record, I do use +, -, and . in some entries' titles. But I don't do any search on it, since its already on the tag. Instead, I use it for display sorting.
I use some other symbols in titles, though, for searching by smartlist queries, so your tip is spot on.
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
I just realized I actually do have too many real lists. I'll be making some major improvements on the system this night thanks to your pointers, carib =)

I'll let you know what will I end up with.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
@carib
"Note that desktop computers have had wild card searches since WIN 95, so we aren't talking about cutting edge tech here."

You must be young. Wild card searches go well before WIndows anything. We used them all the time in DOS, but I'd bet money they were in even older OSs like CPM.
Posted 14 years ago