Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Separating work and home: two accounts?

apurvamishra says:
Do you use separate RTM accounts for your work and home life? I don't want to see work tasks at home nor home tasks at work. Is separate accounts (linked to separate email addresses) the answer?
Posted at 11:05pm on February 18, 2020
(closed account) says:
I do not have two accounts; I think you can if you want to spend the money but I don't know of a way to link the accounts. The work around that I have for this is a two-step process:

Step 1 is in the way that I name my lists. For anything related to work, I start the name of those lists with the number 1. So for example: "1. Work_Single Actions", "1. Project A", "1. Project B", and so on. For anything related to personal, I start the name of those lists with the number 2. So for example: "2. Personal_Single Actions", "2. Grocery List", "2. Summer Vacation", and so on.

Step 2 is that I use create SmartLists for actions only relating to Work actions or Personal actions. The query is " ListContains: 1." and by doing that it captures any list containing 1. which in this example would be my Work actions. You can then use this in conjunction with any other query such as "ListContains:1. AND dueDAte:today" or whatever else you need to come up with.

You can create a SmartList for only Work actions or a SmartList for only Personal Actions this way and then add that particular Smartlist to your Favorites.

I hope this helps.
Posted 4 years ago
dillo99 says:
For my home tasks I have a "Weekend" List and a "Night" list. I put any home things on one of those lists and then I access them when it is the weekend or during an evening for the night list.
Posted 4 years ago
gnjudy says:
Yes I just have two separate accounts. It's useful - not just to keep my head clear of thinking about home tasks when at work - but also because I can set them up differently eg I use the tags in a totally different way on my personal vs my work account. ditto separate favourites , separate defaults on the list sort etc. You may find that you have very different requirements between work and home so it's great to be able to optimise each system fully without compromising to the needs of the other part of your life.
Another benefit of two separate accounts - if i want to share work tasks on my work account I have no fear that I could accidentally share a private personal task with someone. Ditto if i want to share the password with an assistant.
The other benefit is that I have different attachments systems on both. I need a more secure attachment service for my work tasks. Whereas dropbox is adequate for attachments to my personal tasks.
RTM is such good value that it's a small cost for a business to bear to pay for the second account.
The only problem I have had is if I email in a task to both accounts addresses - eg sometimes i have a task that needs doing both at work and at home. The system doesn't seem to handle sending a single email to both rtm email addresses. I can't recall exact error but i think it may have duplicated it in one account and missed it off the other.
But this is pretty rare and easy to work around so it's not a problem at all.
Posted 3 years ago
rntfuture says:
I think that RTM would have a good selling point if they created a seperate work/home environment. None of the task managers that I know does that. It gives you peace of mind when you don’t see the work related tasks when you are at home.
Posted 1 year ago
darrenw says:
I tag my tasks with 'work' ior 'ps' depending on whether they are work related or personal.

My smart lists than log for the tags so only work related tasks appear in my 'work projects' and 'work next action' lists and the same with personal tasks
Posted 1 year ago
mirthless29 says:
I use a double dash prefix — on lists for personal responsibility area and single dash prefix - for work ones. No prefix for reference lists and other stuff.

It gives me priority to separate personal (listContains:—) lists at work but not the other side. (Enough for my mental needs)

My action lists are grouped with the location property. (Next actions, someday, waitingfor, …) I use tags for locations instead.

This way depends on Smartlists and sorting and grouping by location and will be awesome with a hierarchical Favorite that RTM don’t implement.

I’m thinking thoroughly using the url propriety of different searches criteria or Smartlists on tasks and subtask hierarchy in an specific list for that.

Of course, you need a Pro account
Posted 1 year ago
schuessler.old says:
I prefix all my lists with p. for personal (e.g., p.Finance, pVehicles, pTravel) and w. for work (w.Exec, w.Finance, w.HR). I filter my personal and work by adding conditions listContains:p. and listContains:w., respectively.

The other nice aspect here is that when create a task and want to select a list, I never need to type the p. or w. prefix. When I just type just START typing "#Finance" and it will filter down to two options (p.Finance and w.Finance) and I select the one I want.
Posted 7 months ago