Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Share how you're using the iOS Shortcuts app with Remember The Milk

emily (Remember The Milk) says:
With our latest app update, we now have support for the new Shortcuts app in iOS 13 (yay!).

There are infinite ways to use shortcuts, and we'd love to hear what you've come up with. :)

To get started, here's a few shortcut ideas we've come up with so far:

* Add a task using the clipboard contents as the task name, then set the task's due date to today.
* Get all the tasks from my "Overdue" Smart List, and postpone them (i.e., make them due today).
* When my alarm is stopped, open my Today list.
* When I arrive at work, show me the tasks with an "Office" location.
* At 9:00 AM on Mondays, get all the tasks from my “Due This Week” Smart List, and make them high priority.
* At 9:00 AM on Mondays, get all the tasks from that match the search “priority:1 AND list:Work”, and give them all to Bob T. Monkey.
* At 12:00 AM every day, get all the tasks from my “Overdue” Smart List, and postpone them (i.e., make them due today).
* At 6:00 PM on Fridays, open my “Weekend” Smart List.
* When I open the Remember The Milk app, start playing my “Get Things Done” playlist in Apple Music.
Posted at 4:49pm on September 26, 2019
mirbogat says:
I'm really enjoying the new shortcuts integration, it's been truly amazing for my daily routines!

One use case I would like to share is the ability to use shortcuts to quickly add groceries to my Grocery shopping List.

This is how I have it set up:

1. Create a new Shortcut and tap 'Add Action'.
2. Under apps choose RTM and the 'Add Task' action.
3. Enter the name of a common household item that you usually buy.
4. Add the RTM action 'Set task field', choose 'List' and pick the list you want the task to be added to (e.g. 'Grocery Shopping List')
5. Use the 'Set task field' action again to add other properties to the task. I have it set to add the location 'Grocery store'.
6. Tap 'Next' and give the Shortcut a fitting name, e.g. 'Buy Milk'. You can also pick an icon and color for the Shortcut.
7. On the 'My Shortcuts' screen, tap the three dots to open your newly created Shortcut.
8. Tap the 'Share' icon in the bottom toolbar and choose 'Add to home screen'.

You now have a Shortcut icon on your home screen that you can easily just tap whenever you need to remember to buy the specific grocery item.

I have added all my grocery shortcuts to a separate folder on my home screen so I can quickly find them when needed.

I have also set an Automation in Shortcuts to automatically show me my Grocery Shopping List when I arrive at the store.

A bonus tip is that on the 'Add to home screen' dialogue (step 8 above), you can tap the icon under 'Name and Symbol on Home Screen' and choose either a photo or a file as the icon. I made a Google search for 'milk icon' and saved an icon to my iCloud Drive. I have now picked it as the icon for my 'Buy Milk' shortcut. This makes it even faster to distinguish one grocery item from another!
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
I am currently using a shortcut to create a task to follow up from a particular URL in Safari. Basically, once setup, when in Safari, I click the share button and select "Create Task in RTM to Follow Up". Behind the scenes, it performs the following:

Creates a task: "Follow Up With This: ", due today, with a High priority and an estimated 15 min. It also adds a note with the exact URL pointing back to the original URL.

So, when I have time to follow up, I click on the link in the Tasks and performed the needed action.

Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
I also have two shortcut icons on the phone. Once called "Today" and "Tomorrow". Inside each shortcut, it performs a bunch of queries (Show calendar schedule, Check for any scheduled deliveries, etc), One of those entries is to show my tasks that are due "Today" and "Tomorrow" in RTM, depending on which shortcut I execute. It's a quick way to see what is happening "Today" and "Tomorrow".

Hopefully that makes sense to everyone.
Posted 4 years ago
cobrastyle says:
pszaro - you RULE for showing screenshots of how to do this. THANKS!
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
@cobrastyle - No problem, I hope you find it useful!
Posted 4 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
This post made me look into Shortcuts again, can't understand why I didn't get their greatness at first glance! Thanks to Emily and pszaro for this!
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
I have been going for daily 4 mile walks now for years. Likewise, I have a daily repeating task called "Daily Walk!"

I have it setup now with Personal Automation that once I end my "Outdoor Walk" workout on my Apple Watch, it will automatically complete my "Daily Walk!" task.

Posted 4 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
pszaro, these are all excellent tips! You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 4 years ago
(closed account) says:
That is great! Thanks Emily!
Posted 4 years ago
b.harrisroxas says:
@pszaro this is excellent. I had a very rough Siri setup but you showing how to use the "Task" "Field" combo in Shortcuts opens up a whole bunch of possibilities. Many thanks!
Posted 3 years ago
traindriverrev says:
Now that SHORTCUTS is available for the Mac, is there a way to launch shortcuts via the URL?

I have shortcuts url schemes that run tasks in RTM on iOS devices, but clicking the link within RTM on the mac app only causes problems.
Posted 2 years ago