Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Learning Travel Phrases before a Foreign Trip

dillo99 says:
My wife and I have been traveling quite a bit for the last two years. I've been using RTM to quickly learn travel phrases that I need to know. The process is simple and since I put it in RTM it is available to me on any device whenever I have a few minutes to test myself.

First, look up the phrases you want to learn in the language of the location you are traveling. There are lots of samples on the internet that include all the basic things you will need to say. Next, start a new list for this language - example "Italian". Next put a task on the list for each phrase. I put the English version of the phrase as the task name. but you can easily go in the other direction if you want. Then select each task and copy the translation into a note on the task. Example:
Task Name: How much does it come to?
Note: Quanto viene? (kwahn-toh vyeh-neh)

Once you have all the phrases in as tasks you can look at the list at any time and test yourself. Just select each task to see the answer. Once you know a phrase well enough you can mark it as complete...plus you can always restore completed tasks to re-test at a later date. You can also create a separate list that goes in the other direction to display the Foreign phrase with the English as Notes.

I find this process to simple, convenient and very helpful when learning travel phrases before a trip. I also keep the lists around for quick tune ups in the future!
Posted at 8:18pm on December 7, 2018
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi dillo99,

Creative idea! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 5 years ago