Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

My "hotlist"

korey99 says:
I came from ToodleDo, and used the "hotlist" as my normal working location. It's kind of a mix of tasks that are due and high priority tasks, regardless of due date.

One thing I do that maybe is atypical is that I have a lot of "optional" projects with a lot of tasks, but the world won't end if I don't do them. This is my "want to", not "need to" pile. These tasks all either getting tagged as "optional" or put into a list called "Opt-Video Project" or something like that.

Here's my "Hotlist plus New tasks" query:

NOT (
isGiven: true
OR listContains:Opt-
OR tag:optional
OR startAfter:now
)
AND
(
dueWithin: "7 days of today"
OR dueBefore:today
OR (priority:1 AND (due:never or dueWithin:"15 days of today")

OR list:Inbox
OR addedWithin: "3 days of today"
OR tag:honeydo
)

This smart list shows me all tasks due in the next week, but looks further ahead for P1 tasks (15 days). It also includes newly added tasks, so they don't slip through the cracks if I haven't prioritized or added due dates yet. Also, the "honeydo" items ALWAYS show, because if I don't do them, I'm in trouble. It excludes tasks given to someone else, on the "Optional" lists, individually tagged as optional, or tasks that shouldn't start yet.

I have another smart list, called "hotlist", where I just remove the inbox and addedWithin components. It's smaller, but more likely that I'll miss a new task.
Posted at 3:24pm on November 1, 2018
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
As you have a hotlist, this list's criteria could be:
list:hotlist OR list:Inbox OR addedWithin: "3 days of today"
as it's possible to include smart lists in another smart list's criteria, making it easier to change your system.
However, clever smart list, I agree on the honeydo tag ;-)
Bet you'll be a Tuesday Tips&Tricks winner before long!
Posted 5 years ago
korey99 says:
After I posted this - I did change my lists around to do the list:hotlist. Works much better. I have a 2 "Includes" lists, which have a bunch of ORs with all the stuff I want, and and "Excludes" list.

So now, I have a Hotlist Plus New smart list, which has the following:
not list:Excludes-GivenOpFuture AND (list:Includes-DueByPriority OR list:Includes-New)

So that's any new items, and different due time windows by priority, but excluding some things I want skipped.

It's fed by these:

Includes-DueByPriority:
dueWithin: "7 days of today" OR dueBefore:today OR (priority:1 AND (due:never OR dueWithin:"15 days of today")) OR tag:honeydo OR (tag:warnearly AND dueWithin:"21 days of today")

Includes-New:
list:Inbox OR addedWithin: "3 days of today"

Excludes-GivenOpFuture
isGiven: true OR listContains:Opt- OR tag:optional OR startAfter:now
Posted 5 years ago
korey99 says:
Also, my hotlist is easy now. Thanks for the advice.

Hotlist:
not list:Excludes-GivenOpFuture and list:Includes-DueByPriority
Posted 5 years ago