Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Linking an RTM Task to another RTM task

nodonovan says:
Every Task that you create in RTM has its own unique URL. This can prove very useful. Sometimes Tasks can get a bit over-complicated and involved especially if they relate to a big project. I'm a big fan of Getting Things Done and the concept of the next Action. If you have an ongoing Task and you just want a bit of that project to be reminded of, the best way of doing this is to set up the reminder as a new Task in its own right and then link it to the main Task by copying the URL of the main Task into the sub Task's URL box when setting the 'sub-Task' up. That way, everything remains linked.
Posted at 4:49pm on October 15, 2018
hkas says:
+1
Posted 4 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Great idea!
Posted 4 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi nodonovan,

Neat tip! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 4 years ago
nodonovan says:
Hi Emily

Thank you!

Nick
Posted 4 years ago
christoph76 says:
"Every Task that you create in RTM has its own unique URL."

I can see these urls in the web client, but can somebody explain how to get the url if you are using the Desktop client?
Posted 4 years ago
nodonovan says:
Hi christoph76. I don't think it's possible; you have to find the URL on the web. I think!
Nick
Posted 4 years ago
ventil says:
Really nice feature and I also find those URLs from the web, anyway it will be nice from Bob (RTM team) to implement the opening of those links inside of the Desktop client (which is anyway just WebKit renderer). But it's tricky this "external" URLs which are triggering the opening of the another application (default web browser), pushing you to login again to display the task which is already available in the desktop app :-(

It will be nice to have those link automatically "translated" into HTML renderer which is built-in the desktop app.
Posted 2 years ago
dcullen says:
Connected to this for GTD folks, you can add the URLs of relevant emails (for instance, Gmail) to RTM tasks, such as @waiting. Super helpful for taking the next best step.
Posted 2 years ago
mattrix007 says:
I love this idea, but when i put in a url, when i click on it, the web app reloads (the link opens a new tab in Chrome). I think i'm basically repeating what ventil says.. this kind of hurts the utility for me in the web app.....

I think the solution might be if the URL field will work with 'internal' links differently than 'external' ones.

I can't get over the amazing possibilities of using this kind of inter-task linking...

One thing that might change things for me is i tend to use 'repeat after' a lot and since that would create a new url, i might have to rethink how i 'complete' stuff.

Still, amazing i never noticed this.

Also, the URLs are interestingly structured... i replaced the numbers from one of my urls with 0s in the below... the first 0 is the list, the second is a task in that list, and the third is a sub task in that task.
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/app/#list/0/0/0

So cool.
Posted 1 year ago
mattrix007 says:
... i tried to see what happened if i hit a link in the Android client... it opens a browser and tries to log in.

So i guess i'm back to wanting an 'internal' link that can go into the URL and that would be honored by the various apps and website.
Posted 1 year ago
poirty says:
I just tried a task permalink and sure enough it opens in the browser, so looks like it's back to the wishlist... Unless someone at RTM HQ can say how to distinguish between a url for the browser and a link within the desktop app. I have zero JS skills so ...
Posted 8 months ago