Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Organized tags and locations

enkanadi says:
I had plenty of tags added over the years, at some point it was hard for me to remember what I’ve already added (maybe with slightly different name) and filter through whole list while adding new tasks. I also noticed I was reusing some tags by mistake for different purposes - because of vague naming I forgot over the time what was the purpose of them. Filtering by them was not useful because of that.

To fix this problem, I’ve organized my tags - I’ve created categories for them, which are added to names - before the actual name with underscore (#category_tag).

Example: I have a list of books I want to read. I use tags to keep track of where I’ve heard about it. Previously those tags where looking like this: „thisPerson”, „thatPodcast”, „blogA” etc. I’ve changed that to: „books_thisPerson”, „books_thatPodcast”, „book_blogA”. This way when I add new book idea with Smart Add I just start typing „#book” and see a list of possible options and don't have to go through whole list of tags.
I also have some lists that I share with other RTM users. For tags on that list I use other category - for example AB_tag (for list with users A and B). This way I don’t mix those tags with my own.

I’ve added similar system for my locations. The biggest group of locations consists of different places where I can buy things - like pharmacy (shop_pharmacy), grocery (shop_grocery) or pet shop (shop_pet). I have also more specific locations added, for when I know I can buy something only at this place (shop_thisOneShop) or even online shops (shop_websiteName). I don’t bother with actual GPS location - if there are several shops with same brand near me, I treat them as one.

This helps a lot when adding tasks, and also when I look for something - tags and locations are sorted alphabetically on the list, so with this system are displayed categorised (all tags starting with "books_" are in one place). I can also easily spot tags/locations that I don't use anymore and delete them.
Posted at 8:12pm on July 10, 2018
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Clever idea!
Posted 5 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi enkanadi,

Love your organization system! You're our Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner this week, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 5 years ago
benol says:
It's a shame RTM doesn't support slashes in tag names, this system would make more sense with tags like #books/thisPerson (similar to file names in directories).
Posted 5 years ago